Ch 20 [Place so far Away]

Skylar's POV

It felt awesome being able to get back in my car. I haven't drove it in forever. Carly, Kyle, Jackson, and I pulled into the school parking lot one after the other. Kyle and Jackson parked in the very back row next to the other trucks, me and Carly parked a row up. I stayed in my car with the heat and radio. The bell doesn't ring for a while. Plus I wasn't exactly ready to have everyone staring at me.

Jackson came up and knocked on my window. I unlocked the door and he sat down in the passenger seat. He nodded his head up at Kyle as he heading inside the school. Carly was right beside him tapping the screen on her phone.

"You alright?" Jackson asked me.

I sighed and threw my head back. "Yeah." My tone wasn't really selling it.

"If anybody messes with you just come find me, okay?"

"I can take care of myself." I turned to him.

"I know, but still. If anyone even looks at you the wrong kind of way let me know. I'll beat the crap out of anybody for you."

"Before you get all punchy," I held his hand. "Remember you'll get in trouble with my dad if you get in a fight."

"Babe, I don't care." I knew he wouldn't let me talk him out of doing anything stupid, he's just stubborn like that. Instead I just smiled and hoped for the best.

It was actually kind of cute how protective he was. His brown eyes gazed at me, the small purple bruise on his face had healed a bit. Last night and this morning I kept bitching to him about icing it. I also made it my mission to make him look decent, he usual crawls out of bed and puts on the first thing he sees. He actually looked pretty good today. The pair of nike shoes he had on matched his shirt. He looks his best in those baseball sweaters he has too many of. I don't know what it is but when he wears them I could rip it off out of sexual frustration.

"Stop staring at me, weirdo." He smiled and softly pushed my face. I smiled back, earning a kiss. He quickly started to get a little grabby. When we both heard voices from outside we pulled out of the kiss. A group of students were walking around my car, headed to the school. I didn't know who they were but recall seeing a couple of their faces once or twice in the past. They were talking amongst each other. A few of them looked back through my windshield at me and Jackson. It had to be the most awkward three seconds of my life.

"Did they see us kissing?" I asked.

"It doesn't matter if they did or not, we're out remember?" His words hit me like a bus. This morning I tried to convince myself that everything was a dream, that the email never really got sent out. That group of students judging us with their looks reassured me that it was real life.

I sighed and Jackson placed his hand on my thigh for comfort. The clock on my radio made me realize the bell was close to ringing. Part of me wanted to ditch but I have to maintain my GPA. We got out of the car and walked side by side toward the school. He didn't seem as half as intimidated as me. You could tell by the way I was walking that I wasn't feel the vibe. As he held the door open for me I hung my head and held on tightly to the straps of my backpack. My heart was beating the crap out of my chest. The hall was slightly busy. At first it seemed like no one even noticed us. They were all involved with each other, going through the lockers, and anticipating the first bell. I wanted to just stay out of sight and head to my class.

"Come with me to my locker? I gotta get my backpack." I nodded and followed him down the hall. No one looked at me any kind of way, and if they did I didn't see them. At his locker we decided to chill until the bell rang, well he decided and I didn't bother rejecting. A few of his football buddies were a few lockers down. When they didn't immediately greet him upon seeing him we both knew there was a good chance that they knew about us. They weren't bold enough to say something but they did however whisper and glance. I could see Jackson's temper rise, he tried to hide it so I didn't bring it up. The bell rang and the hallways immediately began to empty.