Ch 23

AN: So the story has roughly eight chapters left. If there is anything you might want to see please feel free to comment. I love feedback.

Skylar's POV

Sunday morning my mom insisted that we all attend church. It was because the whole event that occurred on Friday but she wouldn't admit that. She called me down to breakfast but I didn't go. She also proposed that we all ride together like we use to many years ago. We ended up splitting down the middle. Kyle, Carly and me rode in Carly's car. Dad drove mom and Christian. We all were dressed nice, and I have to admit it was nice attending service again. We got to the church before our parents. The usher sat us in our usual pew. Logan and his family were a row up from us. He turned around nodded his head up at me. I looked at his parents, it occurred to me that they knew about Jackson now. They're like a second mom and dad, I wonder if it's as awkward for them as it is for me.

The sermon was about forgiveness and letting go. I looked over the crowd, everyone sat there silently and nodded every time a power quote was said. I'm sure everybody has something they should let go and someone they should forget. As much as I don't like to agree, I can hold a mean grudge. I remember this little girl cut a chunk of hair out of my head for no reason in first grade. Every time I see her in the hallway I glare at her. She probably doesn't even remember what she did, but I just can't seem to get over it.

When my parents arrived the usher sat them with us. I kept my eyes in the pulpit but by the intense aroma of cologne I could tell my dad was sat to the left of me. I didn't say hi or acknowledge them like Carly and Kyle. We sat together, looking like the perfect family, God knows that's not true.

I found my mind wondering in the middle of the sermon. I know I should pay attention while I'm being given the word, but I just couldn't focus. Jackson had came into my mind. I haven't seen him since he left with his belongings Saturday morning. After he left I could hear my parents arguing downstairs, it didn't take long for it to carry on with me in my room. My dad didn't like how I disrespected him with my words. He said he forbade me to see Jackson as long as I lived under his roof. I continued to ignore him, only addressing him through my mom. The fight couldn't last long because I had to leave for gymnastics. When I got home he tried to continue it but I ignored everything that came out of his mouth. My mom tried to talk to me but I didn't even want to speak with her. I didn't want to be in that house, posing as one-sixth of a perfect American family. That night I excused myself from the dinner table. My dad's words for leaving were "acting like an ungrateful brat". Maybe I was acting like a brat, but only because I was raised that way. I know me and my dad have never seen eye to eye, and we probably never will now, but he was only being that much more hateful toward me because it was Jackson. Had it been any other guy he would just give me the cold shoulder. But since I'm dating, as he would say, his running back it's WWIII.

My mind shot back to present day when I heard the preacher getting ready to lead us in prayer.

"Please bow your heads and join hands." he said. I reached to the right of me and took hold of Carly's hand. I bowed my head and waited for the prayer to begin. Out of the corner of my eye I saw my dad holding his hand out, waiting for me to take it. He had his head bowed and eyes closed. Once our preacher started and I still wasn't holding his hand he tilted his head toward me. Out of my peripheral I saw him staring at me with a look of disbelief throughout the entire prayer. I kept my head bowed, not taking the slightest chance to glance his way.

When the prayer was over we were dismissed. Everyone began standing and hugging each other. I never really got that. We all hugged when we got here, looked at each other for two and a half hours, now we're suppose to hug again?

I tried to avoid as many people as possible. Not only because I didn't want to speak, but I had to get to gymnastics before Bam blew her top. Mr and Mrs Ross greeted me as I headed for the exit. I was happy to hear them say they didn't looked at me any less because of my new found sexuality. They said God loves all his children the same. Logan's dad gave me a firm handshake and his mom hugged me. As I tried to walk off again Logan came up behind me and put me in a headlock.