The Innocence (Daryl Dixon fanfic)

Today was to hot. The sun burned my shoulders every time I stepped out from under the porch. I couldn't lie, it was a pretty evening, closing in on night time, and by night fall, we would all be inside the house.

But still I couldn't bare being inside when there was a perfectly sunny outside, crickets buzzing all around and a gentle breeze in the summer air.

(What she's wearing)

I sat on the railing looking over the fields when I saw something in the distance. I furrowed my brow in confusion and tried to get a better look, but I had no luck when Maggie stepped out onto her porch and looked at me.

"You doing okay out here?" She asked me as she walked up beside me.

I couldn't respond, I could hear yelling in the distance. As I looked a little closer I could see it was a man, with a child in his arms. My eyes widened slightly "Maggie, look" I said as I patted her arm and pointed.

Maggie narrowed her eyes in the direction I pointed and she looked for a brief moment as the man was coming closer to the fence line "oh my god, DAD!" She yelled as she ran inside real quick.

I stepped off the porch and got a little closer when I saw the man, clearly distraught. He had blood all over his shirt, and the child appeared lifeless "are you okay, are you bit?" I asked him with anxiety in my voice.

"N-no, it's my boy" he said.

"Your son is bit?" I asked again.

Hershel, Patricia, Beth and her boyfriend barged outside onto the deck , looking at the trembling man.

"Was he bit?" Hershel asked.

"Shot, by your man" the man said.

I furrowed my brows again, Otis would never shoot a child.

"Otis?" Patricia asked, knowing her husband wouldn't do such a thing either.

"He said to find Hershel, is that you, please help me, please help my boy" the man said, growing paler by the minute with fear.

I took one look at the child and knew this wasn't good. I looked at Maggie and she looked just as spooked as I was.

"Get him inside" Hershel said hurriedly.

I looked off in the distance once more to see Otis and another man running in our direction, but Otis was struggling to keep up to the much fitter man in a black shirt.

The group rushed inside, and I could hear Hershel barking out orders at everyone. I stood outside a little while, waiting for Otis and the new stranger to get closer. As they approached the house huffing and puffing , the other man walked back outside and onto the steps. He looked at the man who had just come with Otis .

Otis and I shared a grave look as he looked at the two men "He's alive? Is he still alive?" He asked him. You could see the guilt and fear all over his face.