Chapter 29: The Golden Key

Reira felt her head pound with exhaustion. She could feel her eyes begin to droop and she pinched herself lightly so she could stay awake. She slowly closed her eyes despite her best judgment. She was so hungry. The lack of sweet food was gnawing at her waking breath. She slumped over in the couch as she hugged her knees into her chest. She wished she could be anywhere than where she was.

         There were the original 13 Shinobi were outside room and all of them looked exactly the same. The only reason Reira Kiseki could tell them all apart was because of her inept ability of distinguishing Chakras. She glanced to the side as she heard a low whispering hiss at the corner of her prison room.

         The voice was all but beckoning her forward, but Reira refused to listen to it as she glared out the distance. She blew air into her cheeks as a rock was thrown at her back. Her stubborn and grumpy mood could only get worse after this. She whipped her head around to snap at the source of her irritation, only to be cut short as a flash of blonde hair caught her attention. She would recognize Hikaru anywhere, even though she had no idea what he was doing here.

         He tilted his head to the side as he beckoned her forward and to him with a single hand. She narrowed her eyes and turned away from him instantly. He could only reply to this with a narrowing of the eyes himself. Reira felt another rock thrown at her back, but this time it wasn't light or gentle. She could feel a bruise begin to form and she glared back at the blonde boy. She was tired and really hungry, so she didn't take to annoyance very well at the moment. In fact she was so hungry that she felt she could eat the prison. She was quick to lie back against the couch before she heard a "psst" sound and she looked back over at Hikaru, who was kneeling and peeking through a tiny hole in the wall.

         "Reira," Hikaru whispered annoyed, and Reira glared over at him.

         "What do you want? I'm sulking," she muttered bitterly, and this caused Hikaru to throw her a venomous scowl. She blinked slowly as her eyes locked onto the ceiling. Her eyes narrowed once again as her stomach growled. The sound echoed on the walls and Hikaru raised an eyebrow.

         "Have they not been feeding you?" He asked slowly and Reira snapped up so quickly that Hikaru almost jumped. Reira angrily pointed to the table where a glob of bread laid along with a glass of water. She stood up and pointed at it with bitter resentment. Hikaru raised an eyebrow, as it was like looking at a child who was recently grounded.

         "They brought me that and expected me to eat it. I wouldn't feed my dog that!" she snapped and Hikaru raised both eyebrows.

         "You're a prisoner. Not a guest."

         "I want cake."

         "I'm not here to talk about food with you." Hikaru retorted quickly and she took a step towards him and slowly knelt down next to her.

         "Why are you here?" She slowly asked as she tilted her head to the side. Hikaru beckoned her closer. "If you are about to ask me to fit my body through that gutter hole to escape then I better tell you that it only fits my head." Hikaru gave her an incredulous gaze as he tilted away from the hole.

         "You tried..."

         "Yes and I almost got stuck... Considering..." Reira didn't finish her sentence as she held up her arms to show the cuffs strapped around her wrists. They were currently cutting off her Chakra.

         "I can't believe I am doing this..." Hikaru muttered as he raised his hand and placed it next to his face. "Listen. I don't want you to read into this..."