Chapter 1: Arrival

"Believe there is good in the world"

-Unknown

          Reira Kiseki couldn't help but smile to herself as she entered the village gates. Not only was this the first time she had ever left the Mist Village even a little bit past the borders, but she was also allowed to go all the way to the Leaf Village. It was an exciting and politically important journey, finally mending fences between two villages that had detested each other for the majority of the war. The war, however, was over, even if moving on from it was hard. 

      "Can you believe how exciting this is? I can't wait to write to mom and dad about the color of the sky here. Did you guys know that the sky could be this bright?" Reira asked, her hands folded behind her back as she walked backwards into the village.

           Rena Ichidou sighed from her place next to the girl, already annoyed with her station in her team. For the last eight days, she had been stuck walking along everything she hated in one person. Reira always had a knack for talking for hours. On end. Without stopping. About everything and anything. It wasn't something Rena had particularly minded until forced on a journey with said teammate where she had to be with one another for days. That being said, she was fairly certain that if they didn't part ways in the Leaf soon, Reira wouldn't make it to her first Chuunin exam.

           Reira a looked over at her team with a thin smile, her excitement from before bitten back to calm embarrassment, as well as the ability to tell when her life was in danger. Rena glanced upon Reira with a cold voicing of, "You may of survived the graduation exam, but one more word and I'll make sure you don't survive this trip."

           Reira closed her eyes before bowing, "Rena-chan~! Have I been annoying you? Sorry~" Reira didn't have any real shame upon her face, and her voice sounded slightly mocking. Rena already knew that any teasing by the girl was most likely unintentional, but still annoying all the same.

           For many Kiri Shinobi, being a emotionless tool came naturally. Emphasis on tool. All emotions like joy and guilt were supposed to be wiped out a long time ago. Emphasis again on supposed. The Bloody Mist's Graduation Exam was crude and brutal, that was a known fact. It was what made the Kiri's ninjas what they were. Although while that type of exam was slowly dying off from the village, it hadn't disappeared. Old rules weren't as enforced as they used to be. Sadly, their team was one of the last to participate before some demon kid slaughtered the class.

           That didn't change that most of the Shinobi were, for the most part, rather stoic. Reira, however, had a tendency to smash that stereotype to dust with the power of pure, unadulterated stupid.

           "You're doing it again," Rena hissed, referring to the high pitched and cutesy tone that Reira once again used. Reira kept her promise at first, but looked to be visibly suffering in the silence. Rena had begun to notice that the other girl was twitching, opening her mouth before closing it again in uncertainty. Her pace wouldn't remain steady, and Rena found herself noticing, with more annoyance, that Reira's silence was still just as loud as when she actually spoke. Rena, upon the next minute, made a motion to finally attack the girl before Ryukyu, or Ryu, held her back with a grin as if he had been waiting for her to snap.