Chapter 14: Infiltration

The brightness of the outside world shielded people in the dark alleys. The black cats hissed at every footstep. They knew better than to trust anyone in alleyways, especially so early in the morning. Of all things, cats weren't stupid.

         The shadows of the alley grounds were covered in darkness. It was suffocating to the point where the mice could roam around in fearless wonder.

         A short and usually vibrant girl hid in the mitts of those shadows. She didn't want to be here. She never liked doing bad things. Suspicious things. But in these times of war and tension, everyone has to do things they didn't want to do.

         Reira Kiseki shook her head as she raised her hand up. She could practically feel the black shards of dust leave her hands as they coursed through her veins. She winced as the went under the ground and seeped their way through to the crosswalk.

         She glanced at her watch as it struck 6 a.m. This was about the time when the ninja academy children would start towards school.

         On queue she heard the chatter of three girls walking on the crossway. Reira squeezed her eyes shut as the black dust entered their bodies from the ground. The three girls twitched at the same time, but other than that they didn't seem to understand what was had happened or how much danger their lives were in.

         The same went for the next students and it was only when Reira saw Sakura Haruno, the familiar pink haired girl, that she finally crashed from the guilt that erupted in her body. Her vision was blurry as she used a bit more Chakra to spread her Jutsu into Sakura's body, feeling the weight of guilt move heavy on her shoulders. She swiftly buried the raw emotion, and shook her head as her heart felt lightened by its disappearance.

         She shook her head and released the Jutsu. All of the black dust escaped from the ground and returned to her in mere seconds. She tightened her eyes shut and shakily turned her heel to walk away. She didn't have much energy left and her stomach was practically empty.

         The walk to the small bakery was short and full of annoying stomach growls. Reira didn't bother trying to hide her presence, as she had long since stopped caring about the trouble she would get in.

         Subconsciously she hid behind a tall giant lady with a broom.

         Maybe she cared a little...

         She quickly rushed into the small bakery just as another girl did. Both girls walked up to the small window and gazed inside.

         There seemed to be only one chocolate chip cookie left, so Reira abruptly pointed to it.

         "I want that one," both girls said at the same time. Reira looked up and glared at the new person, while said person only blinked innocently. She had the whitest hair and the prettiest color of blue eyes. If Reira was interested enough and less hungry she would have reacted more to the girl's cuteness.

         "I call it," Reira said quickly.

         "But I saw it first," the girl whined.

         "I called it first," Reira repeated and the baker behind the glass gave the two girls a very uncomfortable tight smile.

         "A new batch will be done in an hour," the woman said, but it didn't settle it.

         "But I want some now. My tummy's make the rumblies that only chocolate cookies can satisfy," Reira said and this made the other girl frown.