Chapter 16: Naïve

Reira bit her bottom lip as a strong layer of fear etched across her face. She had no doubts that she looked like a terrified little puppy. She felt like a scared kitten. She was slightly curious of what she looked like at that moment. She supposed that it wasn't a good look for her at the moment.

"I knew that you were reckless and stupid, but I never thought that you were a murderer as well," Kyoya said with a vexed frown as he took a single step closer to the girl. Reira mirrored his moment with a step back. In an instant he gripped her shoulder roughly making her wince. He took no heed as they disappeared in a discharge of smoke.

When the smoke cleared the two were in their apartment. Reira didn't hesitate to place the lifeless girl onto the couch gently. She could feel Kyoya's harsh and narrowed eyes on her small form. She wished that someone else was here with her, but she had no one. Not Ryu and not Rena.

"I'm sorry," Reira said quietly and Kyoya merely raised an eyebrow.

"Do you think a mere 'sorry' is going to make up for something like this?" He said calmly as he took a threatening step near her.

"I didn't kill her," Reira said quickly, before she could help it. His hand gripped onto her hair and pulled roughly. She whined in protest, and he let her go not at all gently.

"And then who did?" He asked and Reira felt a fierce sense of loyalty build up in her chest.

"I did," she said as she stared down at the ground before bowing down so low that she could almost touch the floor with her face. "I am sorry. It's my fault. She attacked me first."

"What?" Kyoya said with a frown. This was the first time Reira had ever seen her sensei show so much emotion, even if it was completely negative. "Elaborate."

"She hated the Mist village and attacked me out of spite. I tried to defend myself, but she got even more violent. I had no other choice," Reira explained and was quite surprised at how perfect her tone was for the lie. "I am so sorry."

"Where are Rena and Ryukyu?" Kyoya asked monotonously. Reira squeezed her eyes shut.

"They are wiping the scene so it looks like a murder never took place," Reira answered, and Kyoya glanced at the dead girl.

"Did anyone see?" Kyoya asked and Reira squeezed her eyes shut even tighter.

"No," she answered and she felt her hair be pulled to look up into his eyes. Her eyes were watery from the pain, but she did not cry.

"Does anyone know?" Kyoya repeated the question with different words and Reira's bottom lip quivered. His hands tightened and she felt strands of her hair be yanked out from the force. She didn't want to tell him. She didn't want Takumi or anyone else to be in danger.

But he could help. Kyoya doesn't mindlessly kill. He can erase the evidence. He could erase the memories.

"Only one person, besides us four, knows of her death," Reira finally said with a defeated gaze. Kyoya's fingers tightened around her hair and she flinched in pain.

"Who?" He demanded and Reira squeezed her eyes shut.

"Takumi Yuu," she finally said. "He promised he wouldn't tell anyone. I-I convinced him that it would start a war and he promised he wouldn't speak of it."

Kyoya looked at the girl in disgust as he let go of her hair.

"Leave," he demanded, and Reira looked over at the dead girl's body.