Chapter 17: Guilty Conscious

It was only five more days until the Chuunin exams and Reira's nerves had been piling up one by one. She knew she wasn't ready. She didn't feel ready. She felt sick.

Rena and Ryu had been ignoring her for a week now, and Kyoya-sensei was never around, like usual.

She had tried to visit Takumi, but Ryu wouldn't let her leave the house without Konoha supervision. She hadn't left her room for a while and she was running low on sweet things to eat.

Ryu had started bunking with Rena, as another way of avoiding his sister. If the situation had been a little different then Reira was sure that she would make perverted comments about that situation.

Sadly, Ryu was as cold as ice towards her and Rena was like an iceberg.

Reira knew that their intentions were to guilt trip her, but sadly she was feeling anything but guilt.

Anyway, she was way to bored to be guilty.

She rolled onto her back as she boredly tossed her arms up in the air in exasperation.

She couldn't get over how bored she was. A day ago she had asked Ryu if she could go outside and play hopscotch or something, but he wouldn't have it and suggested she read a book or something.

Who would want to read in their free time?

Reading is for losers...

"Fuck your books," she muttered to herself as she looked over at the time. She just knew that boredom would be the death of her.

Not a ninja war. Not some death sentence in the Mist. Boredom would definitely do her in. She just knew it.

She rolled onto her stomach as an annoyed groan left her parted lips. She wanted to go outside. She wanted to run or something. She'd even accept Kyoya-sensei's harsh training.

She finally lifted herself up from the bed and rushed out the door. She made sure to be on the look out for any of her stupid teammates, but before she could even open the front door an inch a hand slammed it shut. She looked over at Ryu sheepishly, but only received a harsh stare in return.

"...And what are you doing?" He asked after a moment and Reira smiled at him sheepishly in return. This only made his scowl deepen.

"You can't be still mad at me. It's been a whole week. Let it go," Reira whined, and his eyes narrowed.

"No," he said simply.

"No?" Reira replied and he crossed his arms in a definite gesture.

"No." He repeated. Reira glanced down at his crossed arms and pouted, easily hiding her mischievous grin.

"Ryu," she said in sad tone as tears filled her eyes. "I'm sorry."

Her brother's eyes widened at the sudden tears and Reira took that chance to bolt out of the door. She contemplated going to the elevator, but the doors took too long to open so she bolted down the stairs.

"Reira!" Yelled her brother from behind her.

"Let's play hide and seek," Reira replied simply as she rushed out of the front lobby of the apartment and just as her feet hit grass and she finally saw fresh rain drizzling outside two arms wrapped around her waist and stopped her from moving any further.

"Stop being so annoying. All you ever do is cause trouble," her brother said in an emotionless voice as his arms tightened around her waist. It was raining outside, so she wasn't sure if the dampness on her shoulder was. "You're loud and stupid..." He whispered as he let go of her. "But I don't want to see my only sister executed in front of my eyes when we get back to the mist."