Chapter 13: Dead End

Reira Kiseki glanced down on the ground as a wave of silence fell upon the room. It was these kinds of silences that made her want to bolt out of the house. It was the full out silence before a storm that she knew was about to appear before her.

         "We gave you one job, just one simple thing," Ryu said with a menacing glare.

         "It wasn't simple," Reira snapped back, and Ryu rubbed his temples in a frustrated motion.

         "Yes, Reira, it was," Ryu snapped as he slammed his hands against the table, and this filled the room with the scary tremor of the wood before nothing but silence. Reira glanced at the ground.

         "You won't tell on me, right?" Reira said after a moment. Her eyes didn't meet her brother's, although his eyes didn't glance up at hers either.

         "You can't ask me to lie about something like this, Reira," Ryu mumbled as he covered his face with his hands.

         "I'll fix it, Ryu, I swear I'll fix it," Reira begged and her brother looked at her with half closed eyes. "Just give me more time."

         "I can't, Reira," Ryu said with a sigh. "They'll know I'm lying. You know I can't lie."

         "Kyoya-sensei will kill me," Reira said with begging eyes as she rushed in front of her brother and got on her knees in front of him. He didn't get up from his spot on his chair. "Please. I promise. I'll fix it."

         "Reira, yesterday was the only night that you could have possibly set those seals. We have no other options. You messed up. There is no easy fix for what you've done," Ryu said as he pushed his sister aside and motioned to walk out of the room. Reira sat on her butt as she pressed her head against her knees in a curled motion.

         It was only when Kyoya-sensei and Rena walked into the room that the already silent mood was completely shattered. A cold and nerve-racking, shrewd force filtered through Reira's mind as a chill ran up her spine. To her, her gulp echoed loudly off the walls.

         Ryu's body was almost as still as his sister's frozen form. His eyes moved to his sister's tense body, finding it out of place from her usual carefree stance. He knew that his sister was stupid. She was reckless. She could be annoying. She could be selfish. She was always talking and she didn't understand basic knowledge and sometimes lacked common sense. She could also be cruel and manipulative.... but she is his only older sister.

         "How did the mission go?" Rena asked, feeling the tense atmosphere that situated on Reira's shoulders. Rena could basically feel the mood of failure all over the stupid girl.

         Reira opened her mouth to give a half-assed answer, although it most likely would have been a smart-ass reply, but Ryu's voice abruptly cut the girl off. "It went smoothly," Ryu said as he looked up and immediately Reira felt that warm feeling of relief.

         "Is that so?" Kyoya said with a slightly skeptical gaze while the tense atmosphere slowly evaporated. Kyoya-sensei always was skeptical and doubting, always tying his speech into his natural paranoid nature.

         "Yes, I double-checked," Ryu said, and his face seemed to be wiped free of all emotion.

         "I lost my lollipop last night to," Reira said with a pout that and an easy going expression, giving away none of the worries Ryu had seen mere minutes prior. Rena rolled her eyes and Kyoya's gaze slightly softened.

         "I'm glad everything went according to plan," Kyoya-sensei said as he walked out of the room. Kyoya always seemed to not like sticking around much, and for that everyone didn't usually mind. He always seemed to bring the room to an all too intimidating mood where laughter was near impossible. They doubted he meant to be a jackass with no sense of humor, but shit happens.