39: Overpowering feelings

"Help!" I yelled starting to hit the door again. "Fire!"

I kept trying to find a way out. But this stall didn't have much space between the floor and the stall door or the roof. No way to escape.

I could hear the fire alarms of the building start blazing; now no one would hear me.

I started kicking the door and felt myself start to panic. The smoke started seeping into the stall and soon I started coughing. "Just someone, please!" Tears started running down my face and from my panic I started hyperventilating until the coughing grew so excessive I couldn't anymore.

Growing tired I leaned in against the wall and suddenly I knew what to do: "Superman! Help!"

Didn't take long when I heard the bathroom door fly open: "Fay!"

"I'm here." I called out.

"Lean against the left side wall." Superman instructed and I did as I was told while watching him melt the lock on the right side with his laser sight.

He pulled the door open and took me in his arms. "Stay awake okay?" He told me starting to run, carrying me bridal style.

Nodding tiredly I leaned my head against his shoulder and forced my eyes to stay open. The whole building was empty. Our desks were ablaze and the building seemed beyond redemption. "What happened?" I asked.

"I don't know yet." He mumbled before setting me on my feet, holding me steady with one hand while grabbing a desk with his other, throwing it through a huge office window. "Hold on." He said, picking me up again and diving out from the window and flying fast towards the ground. "She needs medical attention!" He called out.

"Thank you." I said quickly.

He pressed a kiss to my cheek and whispered: "Stay safe." Before looking up to the sky and flying away.

Someone from the ambulance started doing all kinds of test to me, wrapping me in a blanket and making sure I was breathing well. It took a while before I could stop coughing.

"Is everyone alright?" I asked Mr. White when he walked over to you.

"Fay no one died. But something was wrong with the sprinklers. The fire spread through multiple floors way too fast." He said with a grim voice.

"I thought we had a fire check just a week ago. Everything was supposed to be fine." I mumbled.

"You are right. We did and everything was okay. I don't know what happened.

"We don't know much yet, the police and the firemen just arrived. They say this could have been a terrorist attack, but I doubt it. It was just a fire." He explained, patting me on the back.

I had been sitting in the back of an ambulance and now got out and started looking around. I saw Jimmy and Steve and Lana and it took a while but my eyes landed on Ron. All there but the most important one: Clark!

"Clark!" I yelled starting to make my way around the crowd of employees of Daily Planet. "Hey had anyone seen Clark?"

I could see reporters from other publishers had started to arrive to see what was going on.

"Clark! Clark?" I started going into a panic mode, terrified that something had happened to him.

"We haven't seen him." A woman suddenly said from the crowd.

"What?" I gasped.

"He seems to be missing."

My breath got fast and sharp: "Clark!" Making my way towards the door through the mass of people. "Please someone say you've seen him."

"He was trying to see what was wrong with the copier when I last saw him." Ron told me.

The copier room had a door that could get locked from the outside. Wouldn't be the first time some idiot decided to do a prank on Clark by locking him somewhere.

"Clark!" My voice had turned hysteric as I dodged people and sprinted to the door.

Just before I threw it open I heard a yell: "Fay!"

Turning around I stood on my tip toes.

"Fay where are you?" Clark appeared from the crowd.

I felt tears spring into my eyes from sheer relief and happiness. "Clark! Thank goodness I thought you were still inside." My heart was beating so fast I thought it would burst.

"I was looking for you, I was so worried." He said back.

I ran to him and felt his arms wrap around my waist tightly pressing me against him. His eyes were so blue and I was sure I recognized that color from somewhere. So captivating, my breath caught in my throat.

He leaned in and my mind went fuzzy, he smelled so nice. Like a candle just put out, corn and sunflowers from the farm.

Overpowered by my feelings I rose to my toes and we kissed. The sounds of the crowd gasping around became background noise as I could hear how my heart was beating. One of his arms was against his chest and the other on the side of his neck. His hold tightened and the kiss deepened until I pulled away and opened my eyes. Clark's pupils were huge as he looked at me. "I love you, Fay Queen."

"I love you Clark Kent." I whispered back.

I heard a loud boom above us. Some of the windows of the building had blown up and coupled with loud screams people ran away as the tiniest glass shreds fell from the sky near the building.

"Let's go home." Clark hurriedly said and dragged me through the spooked crowd and into the closest bus going home.

It was a miracle no one was truly injured. Soft coughs still shook me when we got home but Clark seemed unfazed by the events. 'He was in the building far longer than me.' How come he was fine?...

***

So we are ready with one more chapter. Only about five more. This story will be over and that makes me so sad. :(