15. Stuck in an elevator

Clark and I were sitting on the floor on Clark's jacket. I had already promised that I would go take the jacket to a dry cleaners since it will probably be all dusty and dirty.

The emergency button wasn't working and we didn't have any service on our phone. We couldn't even call anyone for help.

"Good thing neither of us has claustrophobia." Clark remarks.

I look at him rising my brows and sigh. "What is that?" I ask when he doesn't seem to be giving any further explanation.

"It's a fear of tight spaces." Clark says and closes his eyes as he leans his back against the elevator wall.

"Oh... Well I don't have it." I said and smiled.

"Yeah. Just acrophobia." Clark said with a chuckle.

"Aaaaand what is that then?" I asked and turned more towards Clark as I wrapped my arms around my knees as I was sitting.

"A fear of heights."

I nodded. "That has a story to it you know." I mumbled.

"Really?... Do you - want to tell me?" Clark asked.

"Why not." I mumbled and cleared my throat like an old time story teller. "It all started when I was a little girl. I was a wild spirit and I liked a challenge. Soo... I started climbing to places. Even as just a three year old I would climb book cases and into the sink and onto counters. I would get into all sorts of trouble. Sometimes I would fall and get a concussion or a bump in the head but I never really minded. It was a catastrophe waiting to happen..." I sighed and rubbed my right arm. "So... When I was nine I started rock climbing. It was fun and I loved it. I wanted to climb higher and higher and I loved the rush of standing at the top and looking down at what I had achieved. When I was thirteen I made the biggest mistake of my life."

I shook my head and took a shaky breath: "I told my mom I was going to pend the weekend at a friends house... Instead I hitched a ride couple towns over to a mountain with a really steep edge that was perfect for climbing. My highest climb yet. I was so excited... At least until my safety gear broke and I fell down past half way up. I was lucky I guess. Some tree branches slowed me down and there was a bush at the bottom. But I still sprained my ankle so bad I couldn't walk and my right arm was in intense pain." I made a face at the thought of the pain I had be

"What did you do?" Clark asked after a while.

"I cried, and screamed and yelled for help when I could. After some time I passed out from the pain. I woke up to the sirens of an ambulance. Some hikers had seen me and alerted help. It was already night. I must have been there for multiple hours just waiting for someone to find me." I mumbled flinching at the thought. "I was rushed to the hospital and given a lot of pain meds. Later they had to do surgery on my and to fix my radius bone. It had broken into two pieces. So now I have all sorts of metal in my right hand and everytime I get into a plane the metal detector goes off." I chuckled at that.

Clark was staring really intently at my right arm and then his eyes widened and he looked away. "I should have helped." Clark mumbled.

"What?" I asked and put my fingers under Clark's chin lifting it so he would look at me.

"I- I should have been able to help." Clark mumbled.

"We didn't even know each other yet. How would you have been able to help?" I smiled fondly at Clark. 'This man is a god. He is so kind and gentle. How is he single? Why don't people see him like I do? The only thing they have to do is open their eyes and listen to what he says.' I thought.

"I... I would have been able. If I just had known." Clark mumbled, shook his head and looked away in shame.

"You are just human." I said and leaned against Clark's side, taking his hand in mine. 'Some nice girl or boy will get a wonderful husband from Clark.'

"Yeah..." Clark sighed.

"Well... Your turn to tell me about your childhood."

"Well... I was raised with the typical values of a small American town. Kansas, Smallville and my parents were Jonathan and Martha." Clark said.

"Yes, but you have told me that before." I chuckled.

"I... I have? And - you remembered?"

"Of course I remember. You are my friend. My first friend in this big city and friends are supposed to remember these things about each other." I said with a smile.

"It's just... I must have told Lois about a million times, but she never remembered." Clark said, adjusting his glasses on his face.

"Tell me something new. If we are going to stay here for much longer we might at least learn something about one another." I requested kindly.

"Well... I had a tough time as a kid. I was very sick and getting used to this world was tough for me." (A/N: Like in one of the movies how he was getting his powers and hearing everything and seeing in x-ray.) Clark said. I wondered about what he meant by that but in the end it didn't really matter. He was finally opening up about something. "I loved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... I still do."

At that I chuckled: "Of course you do. They are so yummy."

"I liked football games, and the smell of Kansas in the springtime." He closed his eyes in concentration. He must really miss his home. "My favorite baseball team is the Metropolis Monarchs and football Metropolis Sharks."

I was getting really hungry and it was getting late. Still no sign of anyone letting us out.

Eventually I fell asleep with my head on Clark's lap. For me it was comfortable since I could lay down at the elevator floor and fit perfectly. But for Clark... He was simply too tall to lay down and fit, so he stayed sitting straight.

"Hey... Fay wake up." Clark said shaking me a little. "The doors are finally open."

I rubbed my eyes and got up, sprinting out of the elevator with a smile on my face. "Freedom!" a firefighter was standing there with a smile on his face.

"And suddenly you aren't tired anymore." Clark laughed.

"I am too hungry to be tired. Let's go eat right now. Thanks mr. firefigher for letting us out." I smiled, grabbed Clark's hand and started pulling him towards the staircase.

***

What did you think?

Comments? <3