36. Martha Kent

"I'm nervous." I said, fidgeting on the seat of the red Dodge Ram pickup truck. Clark was driving slowly like an old snail, taking forever as we drove from Smallville downtown towards the farm Clark said his mother still lived in. I was twisting my fingers and nibbling my hair. Both old habits that resurfaced under stress.

"Stop it. My ma's a lovely lady. She will love you." Clark said, taking his other hand off the wheel and holding mine between the seats.

"I believe you. Any woman who has raised a man so kind must be amazing." I said with a smile.

When we started driving along a gravel road and houses were left behind us, I knew that we were growing closer and my nervousness grew.

When I saw the cornfield Clark had spoken about and the white house I smiled. The place was just like I had imagined. Cute and homey.

When I hopped out of the car I saw an open the door and step out into the porch. She had grey hair just past her shoulders with white locks in her hair. She had a kind smile with think lips and just now appearing wrinkles around her eyes and lips. Her eyes were deep dark like coffee beans.

"Ma..." Clark smiled and rushed to hug her.

When I jumped out of the car I slowly walked over; allowing them to exchange a quick hello.

"Hi." I said when Mrs. Kent turned towards me.

"Hello dear. Clark has told me so much about you. You seem like a sweet girl. Welcome to our home." She said, giving me a warm hug.

"Hello, Mrs. Kent. Thank you I am glad to be here." I said and smiled.

"Come inside, both of you. I've made dinner."

I helped Martha set the table while Clark went to change out of his suit. When he came back he looked much more, in a t-shirt and soft pants. He looked so comfortable.

I noticed I really didn't fit in. Clark and Martha looked like they belonged here and I looked like a city girl that had gotten lost. I hadn't even thought about wearing something that could get dirty and ripped. I brought with me my favorite cat shirts.

At first, we ate in silence before Clark spoke out: "How's the crop this year ma?"

"Fine. The corn is growing fast, soon it will be time to harvest them." Martha smiled.

"I will come help with that ma." Clark promised.

"As you always do." Martha smiled placing her hand on Clark's fondly. "So you are a reporter."

"Umm, no. An intern, learning from Clark." I answered awkwardly. "But I wish to be one, someday."

"I bet you will be. You look somehow familiar." Martha shook her head and smiled once more. "Have we met before?"

"Umm, no."

"Oh well must have been because Clark talks so much about you." She smiled and I saw Clark blush from the corner of his eye.

"Ma..." Clark mumbled in his embarrassment.

"You two make such a lovely couple."

"Ma she's married." Clark intervened quickly.

"Oh... Oh dear... I just thought since you talked about her so... So... Fondly." Martha looked sheepish.

"I'm not. Superman and I aren't formally married anymore and we decided to leave it at that. I won't be seeing him anymore." I told Clark. I hadn't remembered to tell him about the talk Superman and I had had after the interview.

"Oh, that is how I knew you. From the papers. Superman's wife that's right. I'm sorry dear that things didn't work out between him and you." Martha mumbled and smiled at me kindly.

"Are you okay? You didn't tell me about this." Clark asked, taking my hand over the table.

"Yeah. This was a long way coming. I'm not sad. New beginnings and all." I smiled and squeezed Clark's hand. More than anything I wanted him to be a part of the new life I wished to start.

When we were done with eating I thanked and asked Martha if I could borrow some clothes. Skipping upstairs to the wardrobe she had appointed to me. I chose an outfit fitting the farm theme. I wore overalls on top of a plaid shirt, a laid down version of cowboy boots and a straw hat.

When I started going down the stairs I could hear Martha talk: "You love her don't you?"

At that, I froze and crouched down so they wouldn't see me.

"Ma... I..."

"You don't have to say anything Clark. I can see it in your eyes." Martha said. I could hear it in her voice she was smiling.

"What do you think of her?"

"She seems very sweet and I can see she makes you happy. Much better than Lois Lane ever would have been."

"But that wasn't love." Clark quickly said. "What I felt for Lois wasn't like this."

"Well then what are you waiting for?"

"She's oblivious to my feelings." Clark said sadly.

"Well then tell her."

"I can't..."

I felt bad for eavesdropping so I chose to walk down the rest of the stairs more loudly. "Can I help?" I asked when I saw Martha and Clark were doing the dishes.

"No honey we are almost done here. Why don't you and Clark water the garden." Martha said and I could almost swear I saw her wink at Clark.

"So..." I started when we went outside. "Do I look as sexy as I feel?" I asked with a chuckle as I made a twirl in front of Clark in my gigantic overalls.

"Yes, amazing." Clark laughed with me.

"I really like her, you know." I stated when we grabbed watering cans and filled them up to the brink with water.

"Huh?"

"Your mom. I think she's just wonderful." I said again amused by Clark's lack of focus.

"Well, she likes you too. You don't think it's weird... What she said at the table." Clark asked after a moment, clearly bothered by the events.

So I chose to ease his mind. I might not have if I had known that what I would say would make him feel even worse. "No, it's okay. Moms can be like that. And it's not like there's any truth to it."

***

New chapter.