Chapter Thirty Three

I walked back into the waiting room we were all sat at, and Lisa was shouting at a group of doctors while Calum was holding her.

I dropped the food I was carrying, and sprinted to them. Luke looked back at me, crying.

My heart stopped.

Her heart stopped...

(Michael's POV)

My vision blurred. My ears rang. My heart is beating out of my chest, I'm sending myself into an anxiety attack as the walls close in on me.

"Michael..." Ashton said.

"No!" I cried. "The only words that better come out of your mouth is she made it out!"

"Sit down." He said.

I sat down, hyperventilating and choking on my own tears.

"They had complications.  Her heart stopped and they had to resuscitate, but they fear her brain might've suffered damage from it."

"So she's alive?"  I asked.

"Yes." Ashton said.

"Then that's all that matters. She's going to be okay. She's strong, she's so strong. She can beat anything." I said, mostly whispering to reassure myself.

I pulled her necklace out of my pocket, clenching it in my hands and remembering that night we shared. I hate myself for not cherishing her every second, not constantly treating her like the princess she is. I love her so much... I lost her once, I refuse to lose her like this.

"Can we see her?" I asked the doctor.

"She's in ICU now. We're monitoring her very intensely. She's still asleep, and she might stay that way. Only time will tell." He said. "One if you at a time can stand outside of her room...  but you can't be permitted inside yet. Not until we-"

"Go, Michael." Lisa said. "I have to fill out so much paperwork. Calum will stay here with me. You go, go see her. She'll wake up. I know she will. I bet she'll hear you." She teared up.

I gave her a huge hug, and ran to the ICU. My vision was still blurry, my heart racing. I said "I need to see Eli McDaniels" but it came out more like "i nene to say Eli". Still, somehow, the nurses understood me and I got in.

I walked to her room, and saw her from the sliding glass door. Her room was dimly lit, the curtains closed with only a small corner light on. Her head was wrapped in bandages and she had tubes down her throat, IV lines everywhere, and multiple monitors hooked up. She's even more pale in complexion than before... but I can tell there is still life in her. I can tell she's fighting.

"Can I please go in?" I asked a nurse.

"We're not supposed to let you..." She said.

I sighed, turning back to Eli. I watched the machine breathing for her, I watched the heart monitor picking up her weak pulse.

"I just paged the doctor. We're clear to let you in, but only for a few minutes. Just don't touch her too much." The nurse said, and opened the door.

"Thank you!" I said, tears still streaming down my face.

I walked in and sat in the chair beside her bed. I grabbed her hand and kissed it, and looked at her face. She's still so beautiful.

"Hey baby. I'm right here. I don't know if you can hear me, but I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere." I said. "You're strong enough for this. You can fight it, I know you can. You've overcome so much in life. I know you can do this."