6th December - Love on Ice

Milo's gaze passed his costumer, to the girl at the ring. She had been standing there for almost over an hour, never went on the ice and continuously glancing at her phone.
"Are you listening?", his costumer yelled at Milo, pulling him back.
"The service here is the worst!", the costumer complained angrily, he could not be older than forty.
"These", the man threw the ice skates on the desk, "are blunt. My daughter almost broke her wrist because of that!" A little girl stood next to the man, holding an ice bag on her wrist. Her eyes were puffed from crying. A tear was streaming down her cheek.
Milo received the skates and took them to the grinder.
"Well, or maybe your daughter simply can't skate.", Milo hissed under his breath and sharpened the blades. He examined them quickly and handed them back to the costumer.
The man shot him a bewildered look.
"I am not taking them back. I want my refund!" Milo suppressed a groan and forced himself to a friendly smile.
"Sure.", he said threw his teeth. "We are sorry for any inconvenience."
"You bet!"
Milo pressed his lips together, trying not roll his eyes. He remined himself of the two hours he had left and then the ice ring would finally close. Two more hours and he'd be back in front of his Laptop, finishing the last season of Games of Thrones. The thought relaxed him a little bit.
Milo took the cash out of the register and handed it to the man.
"Please sign here", he pointed at a little dotted lined on the bill. The costumer grabbed the pen vigorously. He signed and shoved it back to Milo. Then the man took his daughters hand and left without a goodbye.
Milo let out an aggravated sigh.
"You okay?", Tyler, his co-worker asked him. Tyler was slightly older than Milo and worked here to pay his college debt off. He was the one who worked in Milo and ever since that day, they were like brothers; saving each other from unfriendly costumers and had their backs when the manager yelled at them again. But this time, Tyler came too late.
"Yeah, just this dickhead and his daughter. She fell and he blamed it on the shoes and wanted a refund."
Tyler drew the air in sharply. "Connor won't like that."
"I know. But what am I supposed to do? Costumer is king, right." Milo shook his head in annoyance. He was definitely underpaid for all the things he had to endure. Tyler took some skates and placed them next to the grinder, he disinfected them and started to work.
Milo turned back to the desk, resting his elbows on it. The girl was still there.
They went to school together. Milo would always see her in the hallway, surrounded by her friends and admirers. She's the popular girl, the Queen -Bee. Every movie- cliché was her. Every cliché but one. Jordan was the gentlest and kindest person Milo had ever met. He wondered what she's doing here all by herself. It was getting colder. She blew some hot air in her hands and rubbed them together.
Milo turned to Tyler.
"Hey, I am taking five!", he yelled over the sound of the grinder. Tyler just showed him a thumbs up, continuing his work.

***
Milo approached the girl.
"Hey, I thought you might like a hot chocolate. It-", Jordan whirled around.
"Who do you think you are! Do you think I am that pathetic?" She yelled at him. Milo took a step back, almost spilling the drink.
"Of course, sorry. I just saw you standing there and- and I thought ...It's getting cold, so I thought you might want a hot drink. I am sorry. I didn't want to offend you. Look, I even put tiny marshmallows in." Milo held out the cup carefully. Jordan looked back and forth between him and the cup. Then she relaxed her shoulders and dropped her head in her hands. She rubbed her face and shot him an apologetic look.
"I am sorry, I just had a bad day and shouldn't have lashed out on you." The corner of his mouth twitched up.
"No worries. I get paid for this." Jordan's eyebrows twitched, looking at him confused but then she cracked up. Milo's chest filled with warmth at the sound of her laugh.
She took the cup out of his hands and thanked him. Jordan sipped from the chocolate and closed her eyes, enjoying the heat rushing through her body. Milo smiled at her but decided it's time for him to get back to work. Conner could show up any minute, like he always did before closing hour and he'd definitely would misinterpret this.
"Wait, a second.", Jordan cried out. "I think I know you."
Milo chuckled softly. She had just proved him right. Jordan had never really notice him. He was air. He was actually surprised she recognized him at all, in some way.
"English Lit, Marine biology, Algebra AP, Chemistry AP- you choose." Jordan widened her eyes, her cheeks blushing.
"Oh, we have so many classes together?" Milo nodded.
"How come I've never talked to you before?" Jordan wrapped her hands tightly around the cup, taking another sip. She looked him in the eyes. Milo never noticed how insanely blue they were. Her eyes were filled with a gentle glow. For a second he allowed himself to get lost in them.
"We did. Like one time- I asked you what day it is, and you said, It's October third. It's been two months now since that happened. I treasure this memory with my heart."
Jordan's brow drew together, the corner of her lips curled up in amusement.
"That's not true. That's a quote from MeanGirls. I can't even believe you know that movie!", she exposed him quickly and caused him to chuckle lightly. Milo shoved his hands in his pockets.
"I don't but I know my memes." he replied, and Jordan giggled.
"No, the reason why we've never talk, is probably because I skip school, like four to five days a week. When I am not there- you cannot see me.", Milo answered in a serious, matter-of-factly voice. She tilted her head, giving him stunned look. Her whole face scrunched.
"Are you serious? You really do that? Are you not worried about your grades or anything?", Milo held back a fit of laughter, but he the way the corner of his eyes crinkled, gave him away. Jordan groaned but laughed. Milo joined her.
"You are such a sarcastic jackass." Milo shrugged it off.
"Might be, but it cheered you up, am I right?" Jordan fell silent. She bit her lower lips and hid her rosy cheeks behind the cup, as she took another sip.
"Who are you waiting for anyway?", Milo wanted to know. A little bit of brightness drained from her eyes.
"Just this guy. We were very vague with the time, and I came way too early, because I was really nervous." Milo nodded, even though he didn't all of it, but Milo understood that Jordan did not seem to want to talk about it.
"Well", he sighted, "I've got to go back to work. If you need anything- another cup of hot coca or a very good and smart, sarcastic comment- I am happy to be of service." Jordan shook her head, giggling. She glanced at his name tag quickly. Then she nodded to the desk.
"Just go back to work, Milo." Milo shot her a smug grin as he walked a few steppes backwards, almost hitting a chair. Jordan smiled softly at him until he turned away and got back to work.