seventeen.

Pulling myself out of bed with almost no sleep, I find myself showering and wrapping my robe around my body as Brayden starts to scream from his room.

I sigh, hurrying out of my room and taking him out of his crib before changing his diaper and putting him in a onesie and shorts. I then take him to the kitchen, putting a show on the tv to distract him while he eats some dry cereal and I get ready for the day.

Once ready, I walk back into the kitchen and sigh heavily, glancing over to Aileen who had now entered.

"Good morning." she smiles before it fades. "What's wrong?"

"I'm running late. Can you drop Brayden off to daycare today?"

She nods. "Yeah, I'll drop him off. I can't believe she actually took him back in."

I sigh. "I told her I didn't have any choice because I had nowhere else for him to stay for a while. She doesn't really have the room but she made an exception. I'll text her to let her know you're dropping him off. I'll see you tonight!" I tell her, grabbing my purse, kissing Brayden's head and leaving the apartment.

Making it to the office almost twenty minutes later, I park the car in the parking lot and make my way inside, smiling at the employees on the first floor before getting onto the elevator and soon stepping onto the top floor.

Getting to my desk, I find a note stuck to the computer screen causing me to sigh immediately.

Came in last night, left you stuff to get done. Working from home during the day.

I shake my head at the note he left for me, sitting in my chair and opening the folder of work he had left for me.

Well, by the looks of it, I should be able to get out of here early today, so that's a plus.

Clearing my throat, I pick up the first stack of papers to deal with, starting up my computer and taking a sip of my coffee.

***

I'm out of the office by four and back at the apartment by five after picking up Brayden and something for dinner.

"Hey, I'm going out tonight. Just thought I'd let you know." Aileen says, entering the kitchen.

"Looks like it." I grin, gesturing to her outfit.

She laughs lightly.

"Going out with Aiden?" I ask, grinning.

She nods. "Yeah, we figured we deserve a night out since we don't do it often."

"Good." I say, grinning while sliding the already chopped carrots to the side and starting on celery.

"Whatcha making?" she asks, peeking over the counter.

"Chicken noodle soup." I shrug. "I've been craving it lately, so I figured I'd just make some."

She nods. "I'll definitely take some leftovers to work tomorrow." she says, grinning.

I laugh lightly. "Good. Now, go. Have a good night out."

"I will. Night, Lana. Don't wait up for me." she says, smiling.

I laugh humorlessly. "Oh, I won't!"

After kissing Brayden's head, Aileen leaves the house and almost directly afterwards, my phone vibrates against the counter, making me wipe my hands and pick it up to look at the unexpected message from Justin.

Hey, can I come over tonight? See Brayden and talk to you?

I bite my lip. Took him two weeks. Wow. Sighing, I text back the answer yes anyway, knowing that Brayden misses him. Soon, the phone vibrates again, making me look over since I've already picked up the knife again.