Chapter 24: A Heart-Breaking Goodbye

A stormed blew into the country side and all night lighting shatter and thunder roared. Flashes of lighting lit up the rooms of the house and thunder banged so loud that it almost broke the windows. The wind whipped the rain left, right, and sideways. It was a terrible storm one that kept going strong through the night.

With one loud crash of thunder Sherlock shot up, heart racing and in a cold sweat. He was a bit in a daze, not fully awake to take in the situation. But after a few second of getting himself together he looked down at himself and his heart dropped.

He was big again! He was back to his 6 foot self. It must've looked quite weird seeing a 6 foot Sherlock sitting in a tiny crib for a tiny toddler. He smiled looking at his normal sized hands and arms. He couldn't believe his eyes! How was this even possible?!

But there was something strange to this whole thing at the same time. He was dressed in the same pjs he had fallen asleep in as a toddler. But just as he was trying to make sense of what was happening, there was another crash of thunder.

Sherlock's heart jumped from the unexpected sound. He had to get out of this crib and tell John and Mycroft. More important he felt scared being alone in a nursery by himself. Standing up, Sherlock leaped over the cribs rails and onto the floor. He looked down at himself once more alittle embarrassed. Here he was a 27yrs in dinosaur pjs, scared to be alone in a storm.

But he had to push past it, once safely on the ground he started to walk to the door of the nursery. He walked out of the room and down the hall to John's room, the closest to his. As he walked he noticed the house was darker than it usually was. Something that started to send chills down his spine. Upon getting closer he noticed the door to John's room was wide open.

Sherlock stood in the doorway and looked in to find John's bedroom completely empty. "John?" Sherlock called in, hoping to get a response. Nothing. Sherlock dared to take a step in but the room was dark and empty. Looking around he could see no sign of John. Sherlock's heart started to pick up speed. Maybe he was with Mycroft.

Sherlock left John's room and walked alittle bit more down the hall to Mycroft's room. Same as before the door was eerily open but this time not by much. Sherlock pushed the door open fully to reveal the messy room.

Every piece of furniture was turned over, an obvious sigh of a fight. Mycroft was missing from the room. But what was really scary was the bullet shells and blood on the floor.  There was a blood trail leading from the bed all the way out of the room and down the stairs.

Sherlock looked at the dark blood covered stairs. He was starting to shake in fear as he felt his little side start to creep in. "Mycroft?!?! John?!?!" He yelled louder only to hear nothing in return. What happen to them?! What was going on?! There was only one way to find out.

He stood at the top of the stairs looking down into the darkness that was the bottom of the stairs. Everything was telling him not to go down there, but with the thought of John and Mycroft missing he felt he had no other choice. Holding onto the rail, he made his way down slowly, following the blood trail down the steps.

He soon reached the bottom and the blood trail started to get bigger. Instead of tiny droplets there was now puddles of blood leading right towards the  living room. The downstairs was dark, almost darker than the upstairs. He had made it this far he knew he had to keep going on. He followed the trail into the living room.

The living room was lighter than the dark house. Mostly due to the sliding glass door that let in the moon's light. The moonlight illuminated a horrible sight in the living room. The blood trail led to a  body laying lifeless in the center of the room. Tears started to form in Sherlock eyes as he knew who that was.