Chapter 31

Night time, the torrential rain outside doesn't stop, the pattering rain relentlessly smashing down, abundantly spraying drops of water, unaware of the disturbance it is bringing to countless people's quiet sleep. I lie in bed sleeplessly tossing and turning, the nerves-soothing incense faintly lingers in the air of the room, but is unable to bring me any sleep.

I get out of bed and go to sit at the table, originally wanting to light the candle, but place my hands down in the end, quietly sprawling out over the table as I close my eyes. I listen to the melody of raindrops falling on the rooftop, hear the sound of rainwater hitting the trees, hear the light notes of waterdrops joining the puddles. They are all freely singing together so naturally, full of vibrancy.

I don't know where my freedom lies.

I originally thought I could continue to quietly live on in this palace, with my cluelessness, with my onlooker's observation, quietly watching other people's lives, be it happiness or sorrows.

I can only watch from the sidelines, because I am an outsider with no involvement.

But everything does not seem to be going as smoothly as I thought, at an unknown point, I had already been dragged into this whirlwind, and I have unknowingly become involved with them. Yuwen Rui, Yuwen Xiu, Imperial Sister, Ying Lu, perhaps there is even --- Meng Shao Jue.

I rub my temples in irritation, casually writing on the table top: Yun Mi, Yun Ze, Yun Zhan.

This era has been split into three kingdoms, the kingdoms being, Yun Mi Kingdom, Yun Ze Kingdom, Yun Zhan Kingdom.

Yun Mi is thriving with businesses, is a wealthy kingdom, is in control of trading goods amongst the three kingdoms. Yun Ze is adept in agriculture, abundant in food, providing the necessary food supplies for the three kingdoms. Yun Zhan is well-versed in battles, but weaponry and food both comes from the other two kingdoms, hence having no choice but to flex their muscles. Each of the three kingdoms have their own strengths, but are also kept in check with these strengths, it could be said to be a perfect food chain cycle.

Over ten years ago, Yun Mi and Yun Zhan had once engaged in battle when a problem occurred with the Yun Ze child hostage, Yun Zhan who was an onlooker at the time, took advantage of the situation, wanting to reap the benefits from the chaos. Fortunately, the Yun Ze emperor and Yun Mi emperor had called a stop to the battle in time, reaching a settlement and then joins forces to drive out Yun Zhan, Yun Zhan makes a timely gesture of goodwill, and only then did the matter finally come to a rest. Now that over ten years have passed, the peace between the three kingdoms have already been shaken, each kingdom restlessly ready to take action.

And the target, is clearly Yun Mi.

As the Yun Ze child hostage, Yuwen Xiu has lived on in Yun Mi for over ten years without anyone knowing, and now, Yun Ze has sent Meng Shao Jue over as Yuwen Xiu's aide. Meng Shao Jue disguises himself as a grain trader in order to take control of the army's food supplies, holding back the soldiers, which also means, the battle between the two kingdoms is already imminent, everything has went as they have planned. Then what about Yuwen Rui? Does Yuwen Rui perhaps know of their scheming?

I suddenly smile bitterly, in fact, Meng Shao Jue simply didn't need to worry about me spilling all this information out, I'm someone who does not like to do anything unnecessary, even if the person I face is Yuwen Rui. It is also because that person is Yuwen Rui, that I will even more so won't say anything.

Yuwen Rui definitely didn't reach the status he holds today by chance, speaking from my understanding of him, only he can scheme against others, should anyone want to scheme against him, that will be quite the difficult task. The scheming between the two kingdoms right now, I need not say any more. Oh, no, perhaps, I should also add the well-hidden opportunist Yun Zhan into the equation.