37

amara rahman

jack canceled our session yesterday to spend some time with his grandma, which was fine with me. i didn't feel like facing him either. i saw his face when i left that day, and he was able to tell i was bothered.

maybe he knows i like him. which sucks, if he's with meredith.

i shake my thoughts out of my head, approaching my locker and grabbing my gym clothes.

i saw meredith and gloria at the corner of my eye, but didn't bother looking at them. though, i did notice unusual silence out of meredith.

"hey." i look to the other side of me, seeing a familiar face. "i'm kyla..we met at cj's party a while ago."

i nod in remembrance, offering a smile. "hey. have you always been in this class?"

she lets out a laugh, shaking her head. "nah, i just transferred."

"oh." i frown. "from where?"

"art history with mr.jason." she deadpans, and i cringe at his name.

"yikes. you're lucky you got out early."

"i know." she mutters. "how's the teacher here? hopefully easy going."

i shrug, slipping my shirt off and grabbing another from my locker. "she's not bad, but she has her days."

she lets out a groan, and changes into her own gym apparel. "great."

"but definitely not as bad as mr.jason, that's for sure." i inform, and we both let out a chuckle. i close my locker, catching gloria's vivid stare into my soul.

kyla and i head towards the field, and i felt pretty grateful i know some people in this class. that soon faded when she ran off with another friend, leaving me by myself.

"hey, loner." i look up at nate who was jogging towards me. "how was your break?"

"not bad." i reply, squinting at him through the sun and grinning. "you?"

"beautiful." he lets out a relaxed sigh. "i went to new jersey and got into a club without even showing my fake id!"

"probably because you look like you're thirty." i smirk, and he rolls his eyes.

"listen, i need your help."

i raise my eyebrows in curiosity, "with what?"

he began walking with me and back towards the field where he'd originally came from. "i—"

"hurry it up! let's go!" our teacher yells, "maloley, rahman! come on!"

we groan and i give him an apologetic smile, "tell me after class, okay?"

he nods with a small smile, increasing his pace and heading towards the middle of the field.

i follow loosely behind him, seeing cj in view. he'd been oddly quiet, though i thought he'd extend this whole drama about me longer. thankfully he cut it short.

"i want two laps around the track, go!"

my eyebrows pull together, and i let out an annoyed sigh before forcefully following the group of people. naturally, i ended up towards the back. cj was slowing down in front of me, so i knew i had to increase my pace.

i run past him without any sort of eye contact, steadying my breath as my heart rate significantly increased.

after the dreadful laps, we all sat on the grass in front of ms.lilly. "today, we're beginning our baseball unit—" i stopped listening after she said that, especially since i am terrible at baseball. but then again, what sport am i actually good at?