36

^ that's javi (':

slight trigger warning for sexual assault.

amara rahman

"amara!" i ignore javi's calls that had progressively gotten louder, turning on my side and covering my face with another pillow.

it wasn't until i felt his grip on my shoulder when i was ready to open my eyes and punch him. he grabs my fist, as if he knew it was already coming. "what the hell do you want?" i hiss.

"you let that jack guy sleep over last night?"

"yeah." i reply. "what's it to you? and did he leave?"

"he left a couple hours ago." he answers. "besides, did you forget mom installed those security cameras outside a month ago?"

my eyes widen, and i face palm myself. "great, another reason for her to scream at me."

he sits beside me, "you're gonna need to come up with a good excuse."

"he was trapped inside." i inform truthfully. "why are you helping me, anyway?"

he shakes his head, "not a good excuse. and i'm helping you..because i was thinking about it last night. and i'm tired of your guys' bad relationship."

i raise my eyebrows, "are you, now?"

his eyes roll, and i grab my phone to text jack. "yes, amara. is that hard to believe?"

"yeah." i mutter, clicking on my messages with jack.

me -
hey. did you get home?

"so, here's what i'm gonna do." he decides. "i'll tell her that jack came over to see me and update me on rafael."

"alright." i shrug. "thanks."

"only if you try with her." he informs. "don't start unnecessary fights—"

i scoff at him, "seriously? she's the one that starts it."

"not all of them." he points out, and i subtly roll my eyes.

"yeah, sure. whatever."

jack -
yeah i did. thanks for letting me stay over last night. <3

i try to suppress a smile at his text, knowing exactly what about it had thrown me off.

i thought about meredith..and if they were still messing around with each other. but considering his recent actions..i think that sail is long gone.

at least i hoped it was.

jack gilinsky

i stare down at the letter in my hand, biting my lip.

"what're you looking at, honey?" i look up at my grandma who stepped out of her bedroom like she'd just woken up.

"uh.." i fumble with the letter. "rafael..he got accepted into uc berkeley."

her lips part, and a small smile appears on her lips. "that's..great."

i felt happy for him, too. but it was easily blocked by the sadness spreading in my chest. i imagined what it would've looked like if he read this letter. he probably would've forced us all out to dinner. and knowing my dad, he would've taken us to one of those upscale restaurants.

those restaurants used to irritate me, but now i would do anything to go to one with my whole family.

adrianna steps out of her room, too, joining us in the hallway. "what happened?"