22

amara rahman

"i expect nothing more, nothing less." mr.james tells us, pacing around the class. "i know it's a lot..but this is a hard class."

"i knew i shouldn't have taken AP psychology." bri murmurs beside me, while i nod in agreement.

she lets out a laugh, but i couldn't get myself to. every period, i've gotten either a project or a test announcement.

usually, i feel like i could handle it. but lately, i'd felt so mentally exhausted..i didn't want to do anything.

"hey..you okay?"

"i'm fine." i reply blankly, feeling my throat close up.

as soon as the bell rang, i got myself out of there as fast as i could. i let out a sigh of relief as i fast walk down the hall.

i reach my locker and fumble with the lock before opening it and tossing my books in.

"amara?"

i turn around and face nate and jack..who'd approached me. they both eyed me with concern.

i clear my throat, standing up straighter. "um, hey."

"you look like shit." jack states bluntly, and nate rolls his eyes.

"i know." i mutter, pathetically wiping my eyes.

"wanna walk with us to english?" nate asks, offering a polite smile.

i nod and close my locker, heading to class with the two.

jack and i hadn't talked in a while. i was on and off tutoring him and all of a sudden..we just stopped. and i don't even know why.

"miss rahman." a stern voice calls from behind us, and our counselor steps out of the office. "come with me, please."

i furrow my eyebrows and glance at the two boys before reluctantly following him in.

he leads me to his office, and i set my stuff down beside me before sitting. "um..hi."

"hello." he nods, sitting down. "so..i heard about yesterday. an interaction between you and christian greene?"

"uh, yeah."

"are you alright?" he asks, observing me. "as your counselor, i feel it's my duty to let you know that you don't look well and i'm here for you."

"it's just tests, though. i'm fine, really."

"i called christian down here as well. maybe there's issues that can be resolved?"

my eyes widen, "what? no! that's not necessary—"

his office door opens, and cj enters with a frown. we make eye contact for a split second before looking away.

"take a seat, christian."

i hear him sigh behind me before sitting down in the chair beside mine. "mr.carr, what's this about? because i've got math right now and i can't miss it—"

"whatever is happening between you two..really distracts students. as you know, teenage drama is pretty common. we don't act upon it unless it disrupts learning."

he pauses and i glance at cj, who hardens his expression on mr.carr while flaring his nose.

"so..what's going on? is it some sort of relationship issue?"

i stay silent, and cj does too.

"i'm gonna need an answer, guys."

"we can talk this out on our own." i state.