38. Blood, Sweat & Tears

But at this point, even hoping was difficult. After everything you've gone through recently, you had nearly forgotten what hope even was.

Even so, you still had to continue hoping. Wishing, praying that this tragic story will soon come to an end.

Yesung collapsed to his knees as his shoulders heaved with each breath, panting heavily as the struggle continued on for an eternity. He had not expected Leeteuk to be this powerful, this quick and agile, and he had even foolishly allowed him to land a few hits. For the majority of the battle, he had been at a disadvantage-- his side burned with an unbearable pain from the earlier fall, the feeling weakening his entire body.

Unconsciously bringing his arm up to wipe his bottom lip, he glanced down to find a streak of blood staining the pale dress shirt. His eyes widened ever so slightly as he noticed the rest of his shirt that was tainted by splotches of his own lifeblood. Clenching his teeth, he plants the blade into the floor and shifts his weight clumsily onto the weapon as he used it to get back to his feet, wincing in pain with each action.

His vision began to blur as he battled with the excruciating agony, but he must continue.

For both you and himself.

Meanwhile, Leeteuk watches on with a disappointed expression. This wasn't the same masked man he had seen during the engagement party. Narrowing his eyes, he observes his debilitated enemy.

Despite his current state, Leeteuk had considered him be a pretty formidable opponent as he was able to last so long against him. But any form of pity he felt had been long gone, the emotion becoming a stranger to him.

And thus, he was curious.

Curious as to how much pain the both of you can take before you finally broke.

Slowly approaching his rival, Yesung kept his head down in shame, already knowing the outcome. His face was scrunched up in anguish, the sensation only increasing and becoming more and more intolerable.

"Never in my life have I seen someone as loyal and selfless as you." Yesung felt a hand cradle his chin and lifted it up. He stared Leeteuk dead in the eye, but he found nothing-- all he saw was his own reflection in those two brown orbs of nothingness.

"But that selflessness means nothing if you're unable to protect that person or thing you love so much with your life. Your death would be in vain."

"Like the rest of your existence."

Leeteuk abruptly drops his sword and launches his fist at Yesung. Taking aback by the sudden action, he was unable to defend himself. His eyes widened as it came into contact with the side of his face, and he crumpled to the ground. A strangled growl escaped his mouth as Leeteuk grabbed his collar, lifting his entire body to his level. Wincing, he attempted to compress any sign of weakness, but it was written all over his body.

"You're so pathetic and worthless, unable to carry out the only order you ever had."

Yesung howled as Leeteuk rammed his knee against his abdomen, his consciousness slipping from his desperate fingertips as Leeteuk continued to assault him. As his body went limp, Leeteuk drops him unforgivingly, and Yesung collapsed like a fragile puppet, with Leeteuk being the puppeteer. He was at Leeteuk's absolute mercy.

Each kick, stomp, and hit inflicted onto his body caused the pain to blur and blend in with the pain he was already feeling until he couldn't feel anything anymore.

"You never deserved her love."

And you can only watch in horror, completely helpless as you were chained to the wall, hot tears streaming down your face as you begged for him to stop.

"Leeteuk... please..."

And another blow dealt to his body, followed by a throaty groan as his body got tossed carelessly to the side.

"Don't hurt him anymore..."

But Leeteuk was too immersed in hurting him to hear your words.

"I'll promise to do anything, just spare his life..."

Yesung pushes himself up with his two arms, giving a hacking cough as more blood escaped his lips and onto the ground. You couldn't bring yourself to watch, but your eyes were glued to him, a part of you dying as you watched his struggle.

"Leeteuk, I do..."

Miraculously, Leeteuk halts his attacks on the younger and turns his head to you. Through your teary eyes, you saw his now red eyes flicker, smirking devilishly as he made his way towards you.

"Oh, Lady Y/N... you don't know how much it pains me to see you cry..."

He brushes a bloodied thumb across your cheek to wipe away a tear, leaving a red smear of blood as he did.

"You've finally decided to be mine?" Leeteuk whispered closely, and you nodded hesitantly.

"...yes..."

"I love you... Leeteuk..."

After everything you've done for me... you deserve to live.

Yesung listens closely to your words, all of the remaining strength he had immediately diminishing. His body finally gives in to the torment, your words dealing the final blow.

His head lolled to one side, the blood and sweat causing his hair to stick to his skin. Even now, he was hiding behind the same, raven bangs. It used to be able to hide his suffering and torment, but this time, he had nothing to lose.

So he just let them fall freely, his heartbreak and sadness trickling ever so slowly down his bloodied cheek.

All of his pain receptors had shut down by now, but for some reason, this was an everlasting pain that lingered, slowly tearing his heart apart.

In his final moments, he had witnessed and heard the love of his life leave him.

It was just like what Leeteuk said— "your death would be in vain."

And it was.

All that effort, everything he had gone through to protect you— he had lost you.

All the things he did to earn your love— all went to waste, all to no avail... you still chose another.

Perhaps I am not meant to be loved...

You deserve to live.

But Yesung would much rather die than to lose you to someone like him.

"Just let me see him one last time..."

"...please."