23. Melting Heart

"Is that him?"

"What's with his hair? He looks like a depressed freak."

"It's so unfair, how come someone like him got such a high rank?"

As Jongwoon walked past the two gossiping maids, he exhaled a shuddered breath as he attempted to keep his chin up. Don't let them get to you.

He's been dealing with this type of treatment his entire life, so much that he's immune to them by now. He doesn't feel anything, can't feel anything-- he's completely numb. But nonetheless, it still hurt. Nobody deserves to go through something like this.

Which is why he swore to protect you with such devotion, so you'll never have to experience such a hell.

When he opened the door to your room, he didn't expect another servant to be on the other side. The servant had been carrying a tray with a teapot, and she crashed into him, spilling the boiling tea all over him. The teapot collided with the floor, shattering into a million broken pieces. Jongwoon hissed in pain as he collapsed onto the floor, the searing sensation too painful to handle. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw you come running.

"Oh my goodness! What happened?! Is everything alright?" Your eyes were filled with concern as you reached for his scalded hand, but he painfully jerked it away. He watched as your expression faltered slightly, and caught the other servant snickering behind her.

"Can you stand?" You asked carefully, trying to help him to his feet. You brushed his hair aside and he winced, and you quickly apologized.

Limping ever so slightly, you led him into your room and you personally helped to treat most of his wounds, because you knew that nobody else would do it for him. Sadly, you knew about his reputation within this household-- the staff members were always spreading rumors.

"My lady, you don't have to-" he whispered as you shook your head.

"I'm not exactly sure what happened back there, but I'm not completely oblivious to everything that's happening to you. You know you can always trust and talk to me, right?" You gave a hopeful smile, and he scoffed.

"To trust someone? Even I can't remember the last time I did that," he mused as your hands paused and your face fell. Immediately, he cleared his throat. "Sorry. It's easier said than done."

"No, no, I understand."

Don't say that. Nobody does, and nobody ever will. Everyone says that just for show.

But as you continued to work on his scalds, he couldn't take his eyes off of you. How long has it been since he's felt warmth and kindness like this? The cold had numbed him-- he told himself not to feel, and before long he had lost any sense of feeling.

And suddenly you were hitting him with a warm breeze, and it worked quickly to release his heart from its frozen cage.

Unknowingly, the corners of his lips had twitched upwards into a fond smile.

Something he never thought he'd do again in this lifetime.

You glanced up and your eyes were filled with wonder and awe as you took in the sight in front of you.

A sight so unlike anything you've ever seen, a sight that you've never thought you'd see.

"Yesung—"

"It's beautiful."

"But not as beautiful as you, my lady."