27. Wedding Dress

These three days have been literal hell for you.

Not to mentioa n that you were constantly bombarded by guests and allies of Leeteuk (people that were most likely as dangerous and ambitious as Leeteuk himself), and it didn't help that your eyes were constantly drooping from sleep deprivation.

Trying on dresses and everyone taking on multiple things at a time in order to get everything done in time, the place was busy with people hustling and bustling.

But by the time he had told you about the wedding, most of the decorations and preparations were already finished. Everything had already been decided. You had nearly no say in anything, as usual, so you kept your head down and didn't speak unless necessary. You didn't want to trigger anyone, especially his powerful allies who might snitch and get you into more unwanted trouble.

When you're that high up in the ranks, pettiness and drama are a must. And you definitely didn't want to be surrounded by it.

However, you seemed to have found allies of your own.

As you were trying on your wedding dress, the helper had begun a little conversation with you.

"My name's Lily, your helper today."

"You must be Miss Kim from the Kim Household," the girl added as she took your measurements. "I've heard about the tragedy that took your parents. I'm terribly sorry."

You shook your head. "Don't be."

Lily exited the room and just as quickly as she had gone, she came back with a large ivory dress in her arms. The moment you caught sight of it, you were appalled by its beauty and of course, its size.

"Try it on," she beckoned. And so you did.

All your life, especially as a child, you were a sucker for wedding dresses. You've been anxiously waiting for the day to finally be able to step into one. And this was exactly to your liking— a dress that hugged your hourglass figure, with a large skirt that cascaded down your legs and finally ending at your feet. The dress was layered with lace on top of more lace, with beautiful patterns embroidered all over. It was exactly how you'd imagine your ideal wedding dress to be.

But the person you were wearing it for? Not so much.

As if reading your mind, Lily eyed you carefully. Glancing around, she finally spoke in a hushed voice.

"How did you end up here? Why did you agree to marrying him?"

Your eyes widened in shock at the question. Lily gulped as she slapped her hand over her mouth. You blinked as you struggled to find a response.

"I-I was kidnapped. I didn't have a say in anything," you whispered, the words only audible to her. Lily seemed to exhale a sigh of relief, and you did the same.

"I'm so sorry. He forced you into everything, huh?"

You nodded, happy that there was somebody on your side after all.

"It was the same for me. I was taken from my family and placed into the staff and if I refused to work, he vowed to end my family. So I didn't have a choice." Lily sighed as she continued. "And I'm not the only one forced into this life."

You were all ears.

"Most of the other staff members are here against their will, all working in order to keep their beloved ones alive. Sometimes we'd even get abused because of a small, harmless mistake. You'd think that we're being foolish for being so loyal to Leeteuk, but our loyalty is forced. So when we heard that you were his bride, we all wished you the best."

Completely taken aback, you were speechless. Leeteuk was a twisted man that manipulated people to his own uses. From the very first moment you saw him, until now— he was still using people.

Tears stung your eyes as you choked back a sob, your heart aching for Lily and everyone working for him, this heartless bastard. "I... I'm so terribly sorry. I hope you'll find freedom very, very soon," you managed. Lily returned a sad smile as she brushed her thumb against your cheek, wiping away your tears.

"Oh, honey— don't cry. Smile, you look prettier that way," she whispered, a smile etched on her own lips.  Her words only caused your heartache to worsen. You didn't understand how so much pain could be hidden behind a mere smile, precisely the one Lily was wearing right now.

But as big as it is, her eyes gave it all away.

"You have a big, beautiful heart, just like this dress. You don't deserve to go through something like this," she sighed as she dabbed a small tissue against your cheeks. "Nobody does, but especially you."

Suddenly, you felt a spark igniting deep in your heart. Your eyes hardened along with your resolve and you placed your hands on Lily's shoulder.

"Lily. You can't give in. You have to stand up and fight. I will fight alongside you, and we shall ensure our victory."

Lily's eyes widened in worry as she stuttered. "B-But if we do, we would lose our lives! You've seen how ruthless he is—"

"Would you rather die fighting for a chance for freedom, or continue rotting away and finally die in this hell-like prison?" You urged her on, your eyes angry.

"Like you said, you're not the only person that feels this way. You're not alone. I'm sure they all feel the same way— everyone's afraid. But not of Leeteuk. You're afraid of losing you and your beloved ones to death."

"So you have to be the one to step up and inspire everyone. Give them hope and lead them into battle."

Lily's brown orbs sparkled as she heard those words and you smiled. You grasped her hands and squeezed them tightly. "Fight for your family, don't stop until you see that light at the end of the tunnel. Then run with all your might towards that light. Get back up if you fall, don't give up."

Swallowing, she let out a shuddering sigh as she nodded. The sad look in her eyes were replaced with a new type of determination, and she returned a weak smile.

"I admire you so much. You're so hopeful and positive, even in hopeless times like these..." Lily trailed off as you chuckled.

"Something that I learned from my mother..."

"...back when she was still alive."

You lowered your head as the words came out as a whisper, and Lily pulled you into a warm embrace. She stroke your head softly and you began to choke up.

"Then we all have something to fight for. Let's win this once and for all, together."