2. Violet

After having afternoon tea with the Jang family, you returned home to change into another dress to wear to the dinner. Your mother was going to decide your outfit because this was an "important" event. You rolled your eyes because it meant pretty much nothing to you. The two of you were already betrothed to each other anyway, so it's not like the dinner was necessary.

You were still deep in your thoughts when you made your way up the stairs to your room. You tripped on one of the steps and it snapped you back to reality.

I am falling—

It took you a moment to process what was happening, and that you were going to badly injure yourself. Fortunately, Yesung was right behind you and he caught you before you hit the floor.

"Are you alright? You don't seem like yourself," Yesung asked with eyes full of worry. Your heart thundered in your chest, breathless. Yesung smiled amusingly, and you finally blinked and caught your breath.

"Thanks. I'm fine," you lied as you pushed yourself to your feet. Yesung pouted.

"You're obviously not. Tell me about it. Is it about the dinner?"

You swore that your butler could read your mind. Reluctantly, you nodded again.

"I just... I don't think I'm ready to marry. Don't you agree that it's too soon?"

Yesung cast his eyes on the ground. "Either way, we don't have a say in this."

You sighed as you continued your way down the hallway. "I don't understand why my parents are so eager to send me off. Don't they care about me?"

Yesung didn't respond.

Shaking your head, you burst into your room and collapsed onto the bed, your mind whirling.

"What if I don't like him? What if he hates me and decided to murder me in my sleep? This was an absolutely terrible idea, I'm going to proceed to jump off the balcony—" You dash towards the window leading to the balcony, but Yesung latched on to your arm.

"It's going to be fine. If he decides to hurt you in any way, I'll come right away to protect you. So don't worry." Yesung flashes a reassuring smile at you. You managed to return a weak smile. He pats your head softly.

"No matter what, I'll still be your butler."

With that, the door opened and your mother stepped in. Yesung gives you a knowing look and exits the room.

"Hello, mother."

"Hello, Y/N. Are you ready for the meeting tonight?"

You feigned a smile. "Yeah, I guess."

"What are you feeling tonight?"

You shrugged. "Maybe a darker color?"

Your mother opened your closet and began scanning through the dresses thoughtfully. Most of your clothes were hand-me-downs from her, and the other percentage were gifts. When she got to a specific dress, she smiled.

"How about violet?"

You nodded. "Sure."

-----

Finally, the sun gives in to the moon and the night takes over. Your family was all dressed up in their own respective outfits. You admired the make-over your mother and maid gave you in the mirror. You didn't look like yourself, you didn't feel like yourself— and you liked it.

You donned a violet dress with a skirt that hung right above your feet, your hair in a messy bun that was held by a matching ribbon and clips. Your mother decided on a puffy red dress, with your father matching her in a red suit.

And Yesung, oh lovely Yesung, had worn an indigo suit to match your outfit. He was always in a formal outfit, so there wasn't too much of a change in appearance. His tie seemed to have come undone, thus you walk up to him and helped fix it. The butler needs to look good, too.

He couldn't seem to be able to take his eyes off of you, watching how focused your eyes were, and how your fingers worked expertly to fix his tie.

"My lady, you look exquisite tonight," he compliments.

"And so do you, Yesung," you returned with a grin. You stepped away to admire his full attire, and he smirks.

"It's always such an honor to hear that from you. Now, shall we go?" He presented his gloved hand in front of you, in which you gratefully take in yours.

"Yes, we shall."