10. Mask

You seriously wondered what was up with him.

The past few days, Yesung's been behaving strangely— reluctant to look you in the eye and way less enthusiastic in his job. He didn't speak as much, only when necessary. And the worst— he didn't smile anymore.

And it was absolute hell for you, almost becoming literal strangers to one another in just a span of minutes.

You didn't want to be nosy, and it wasn't like he was going to tell you, so you didn't ask. When you hinted towards the question, he would only shake his head and walk off, leaving you confused and dispirited. You've tried countless other methods to approach him, but you always ended up with the same result.

It had gotten so bad that you once broke down in front of your tutors, and you couldn't concentrate on your work at all. Which sounded ridiculous, but it happened.

Besides, you already knew the cause of his silence; you yourself. But what you didn't know was what you did that caused it, and that only added to your frustration.

When you approached your mother about this problem (you didn't mention him directly), she didn't have much of a reaction.

"Don't worry too much about it. Your engagement party is soon— smile and be happy! I'm sure whoever it is will get over it soon enough," she had said. "Think positive thoughts. Don't let their problems burden you— I'm sure it isn't your fault."

"Try to at least look happy. Hide your feelings, just for that night and enjoy your time there. Smile and drop the issue. You can't linger on it forever. That way you'll never be happy."

It wasn't easy to just push this issue aside though. And it was your fault. You wanted to set things right so badly, but you were so conflicted, not knowing whether your approach to him would finally solve things or make it worse. And you didn't want to risk it, especially not now.

However, it was just a matter of time before the two of you will separate, and you wanted to end on good terms. But whatever you said to him, he kept his mouth shut.

Thus you waited and waited, until the night was near. The night of your engagement party. The theme of the party was masquerade, so naturally you had to wear a mask.

You clutched the mask in your hands, remembering your mother's words.

"—smile and be happy!"

"Don't let their problems burden you-- I'm sure it isn't your fault."

But it is mother, it is.

However, there wasn't anything you can do and you can't wait any longer. Perhaps you should just go with the only option you have left. You placed the mask on your face and wrapped the ribbon around your head.

Just for a night, I shall hide my feelings behind this mask and enjoy myself.

Twirling around in your black dress decorated with white stones that represented stars in a night sky, you decided you were ready to take on the night and you walked towards the door.