Chapter 8- Chorus, Auditions, and Terms

(Chapter 8- Chrous, Auditions, and Terms)

“Ok class; take your seats I have an announcement to make.” Mrs. Edwards yelled over everyone talking.

We had a loud chorus class. Half the people in here thought this class was just a social thing and didn’t really have to do anything. Which most of the time was right but every now and then we would actually had to do something, especially if some event was coming up at the school. Everyone looked at the teacher and settled down seeing as they didn’t want to get into trouble. She had that serious look on her face so we knew what that meant.

“I have an assignment for each and every one of you today. Everyone will take turns singing and whoever does the best will have the main parts. I will pick one girl and one boy to sing together in this year’s fall festival at school. Everyone else will have minor parts.” Mrs. Edwards said.

The class all whined in unison of actually having to do something but I other hand was ecstatic. I loved to sing so this was not a problem for me. I wonder who the other guy is that will be singing. The guys in this class were shy and don’t use their voices much so this will be interesting to watch. 

“When I call your name please step to the front and sing the song I give you. If you don’t know it then I will give you a different one. The first person will be Maggie smith.”

As the girl walked to the front I turned to talk to Shannon. I wasn’t the one deciding so there was really no need for me to pay attention.

“Do you want to-“

“What was the deal with the sister thing earlier?” Tinsley said cutting me off.

“Nothing, it was just a stupid girl making stuff up.” I said. “When I went on my date with Austin she seen us and called me Austin’s sister just to annoy me.”

“Oh, you are stirring up a lot of rumors you know.”

“I could only imagine.” I sighed. “Do I even want to know?”

“Well one girl in my English class said that you and Austin are dating which I guess in a way is true. Another girl said that you were dating Austin and he caught you cheating with the new guy and is pissed. Oh and my favorite is that you two are getting married because it’s arranged. Now wait until this sister thing hits and see people reaction.” She laughed.

“High school is so over rated.” I groaned.

“Tinsley Adams.” The teacher called bringing us out of our conversation.

I stayed silent and watched as Tins sang her part. She was actually pretty good and singing but she hated getting in front of people. I really didn’t mind that so much as the awkward moment of silence until the music starts. It was always uncomfortable having people stare me down as I did nothing.  Tinsley sang The Climb by Miley Cyrus and did really well; if she got the part I would be happy for her.  I wonder if she would even do it with her stage fright though.

“Shannon Lane.” The teacher called.

I got up from my seat passing Tinsley along the way and walked to the teacher. I stood in front of her as she shuffled through all her music sheets trying to find the right song to give me. After about two minutes she finally picked one. It was Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri and I was glad because I loved that song. As the piano started to play I began to sing.

I know I can't take one more step towards you
Cause all that's waiting is regret
And don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore
You lost the love I loved the most

I learned to live half alive
And now you want me one more time

And who do you think you are
Running 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart
You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Who do you think you are