Chapter 21: Ambush

Chapter 21: Ambush

Heruseus leaned his head against Daggero's car window. His eyes seemed to blur out his vision as he stared at the passing street lamps. He let them shut as Mel rubbed his back. Psytrin sat on the other side of them, knocked out as he leaned his head against his hand on the arm rest.

"He okay?" Daggero stared into the rear view mirror as he drove. He made eye contact with Mel, but she didn't hear him.

Kat sighed in the front passenger seat, "yeah, he doesn't seem too well."

"Oh! Sorry," Mel's eyes lit up as she realized what he asked. "He's... yeah, he should be okay."

"What happened?" Kat placed her head on her hand as she wondered.

Mel hesitated to respond, but took a deep breath before she did. "Rejection."

Daggero inhaled through his teeth before he responded, "ouch. That hurts. Everyone knows what that feels like." He looked back through the rear view mirror to see Mel staring at nothing but air as she grew lost in her thoughts. "Melody, are you okay?"

"Hmm?" Mel looked up at the mirror. She smiled weakly, "oh, yeah. Of course I am!" Silence grew cold in the Accord. Mel quickly changed the subject, "where's Luke?"

"He went with Doug so you guys can fit in here," Kat responded quickly. "I'll tell you, some shit went down at the asian supermarket," she giggled to herself, "to sum it up. We have new Hearts of Light members. I'm sure one of them is an old friend of yours."

"You should at least sleep a little more," Daggero advised her, "we'll be getting back on tonight. We're pretty much ten minutes away from the school anyway."

Mel yawned and gave him a thumbs up, "sounds good."

Chumbus yawned as he waited for everyone to join him in MMO. He watched as the idle bodies around the large room in Creature Inn came to life. Lizardon and Executioner began to move first. Chumbus smiled, "did you both pee at the same time or what?"

"What the hell, no. Exe was taking too long, I gave up," Lizardon laughed as he playfully hit him.

Executioner laughed with them. As they stopped, he questioned Chumbus seriously, "are you sure adding more Thornes is a good idea? I mean, I understand it's Rachel, but she's still a Thorne."

"Don't worry about it," Chumbus yawned again, "I've known Rachel my whole life. Josh had known Rachel his whole life. Rache would do anything for him, and I know that because they were like brother and sister. Remedy wouldn't do anything, she's Mel's younger sister. At least, I don't think so. If anything, Tyler might be the one to betray us, but I doubt it."

"Still man, I have my doubts," Executioner watched Valor move from the chair he sat in.

"What a night, what a night," he laughed as he walked towards them.

Lizardon began to giggle, "good shit earlier man. That took some balls."

Zinthos woke up next, shouting, "damn this feels good!"

Lizardon noticed his level and stuttered, "h-how- what? Max?! Y-you're level- what the fuck?!" A smile forced its way over his face.

"Shh," Zinthos smirked as he put his index finger over his mouth, "don't say anything about it. Don't worry about it." He put down his finger to spin his brand new shurikens with the other.

A sudden knock on the door stole everyone's attention. Chumbus rushed over and opened the door to find Celes and Leyasu waiting to enter. He quickly gave them each a hug before they came into the room.