Chapter 18: Enter Zinthos

Valor ran behind Daggero and Kat through the bare desert area. He shouted out, "what's are plan here?"

"Find the statue!" Daggero shouted back as their legs moved a fast speeds.

"No shit," Valor rolled his eyes, "are going to split up?"

Kat shifted her eyes to the many players fighting around them, "no, that's not a good idea. We're all stronger together, it should stay that way."

"We won't be covering much ground," Valor told her.

Kat looked back to him, "we won't be covering any ground if all the time we spend is spent staring at a black screen. Let's avoid the fights for as long as we can. Everyone seems busy, let's look for the statue while they all fight each other."

"Where the hell do we "look", it's all flat, desert land!" shouted Daggero.

Valor pointed to a large black and green beam of light, "there! Must be Josh's colors, I know it."

"Then why are so many people fighting here?" Kat wondered.

Daggero shook his head and threw his hands up, "don't worry about it, just go!"

Kat still wondered. She watched as a group of players collided. Loud clinking noises rung in her head as the metal swords clashed. She saw a man shove his sword into a lady's skull, watching the blood pour from her the newly formed hole in her head. She looked away to see another person decapitate someone else. The headless body squirted blood from its neck, and slumped over before disappearing. She gagged and put her hand over her mouth as she kept running.

"You're not one for all of this," Valor asked as he watched her, "aren't you?"

Kat shook her head, "I've always hated gore. It's gross, and I don't understand how people like that stuff."

"You won't like the player battles then," Daggero sighed in front of the two.

"Don't worry, I know this isn't real. I'll get used to it," Kat smiled and ran in front of him.

Minutes passed before they stopped before a huge black pillar that shined with green light around it. A message appeared over it:

Prove your strength.

Kat looked back and frowned, "is that why people are fighting?"

Daggero nodded, "must be the first people who got here against those just trying to defend themselves."

Valor pressed his hand onto the beam of light, and immediately withdrew as it stung him, "looks like we're going to have to fight."

"It doesn't even say to kill people, it just says to prove how strong you are," Kat told them, "let's think about it, rather than take it at face value."

Daggero laughed, "you sound like one of my better students."

"Why do you think I help tutor your class?" Kat laughed too.

Tharza emerged from behind the pillar with a frown, "I was hoping you'd make it here, sooner or later."

The three quickly drew their weapons and prepared to fight. Daggero's eyes widened as he spotted Eden besides Tharza and Jade Dragon, "E! What are you doing?!"

Eden looked away as he spoke, "I'm sorry. My name is Eden."

Valor's eyes widened next, "Isaac? Damn dude, you sound older!"

Eden cracked a smile and shrugged, "comes with age, you know? It sucked when you left a year ago, it's been weird. I'm sixteen now."

"I can tell," Valor's voice trailed off as he looked at Jade and Tharza. "Who are they?"