Chapter 6

They had been traveling for three days, making very slow progress. The first day and a half seemed fun. Oceankit had shared stories of ForestClan and her past. When asking Wavekit about her past, she claimed she didn't remember and mumbled on. Snowkit knew she was hiding something though. But now they were on day three of their journey and Oceankit and Wavekit seemed to speak less and less, walking in silence most of the time.

            "So....nice weather," Snowkit pointed out, for the fifth time that day.

            No one spoke. They just continued walking in front of Snowkit, not even glancing back to check if she was still behind them.

            "So, you're going to SnowClan. That's cool. I've never heard of SnowClan before," Snowkit admitted.

            "That's because you don't even live near SnowClan," Wavekit hissed.

            Snowkit stopped, taken aback by the kit's harsh words. She began to walk again, watching the ground, not even bothering to look up.

            Despite the fact that Snowkit traveled with two other kits now, she still felt abandoned. What had seemed like a good friendship had turned into the relationship that Snowkit had with her siblings, though Oceankit and Wavekit weren't harassing Snowkit.

            "I was named after my mother," Snowkit brought up a few minutes later, trying to break the silence.

            "Is your mother dead?" Wavekit grumbled.

            "No, she's alive. Her name is Snowfeather," Snowkit said, almost beginning to tell a story of her mother.

            "Well then that's stupid that you're named after her," Wavekit mumbled.

            Oceankit slapped Wavekit with her tail then quickly turned around, checking to see if Snowkit had heard her comment, which, she had.

            "So, is there a reason that you're coming with us to SnowClan?" Wavekit asked as the sun stretched above them, indicating it was the middle of the day.

            "I don't have a clan to go to," Snowkit said. "SnowClan seemed like a good place. Plus, my name is in it," she giggled.

            Not a sound echoed from Oceankit or Wavekit's mouth.

            After awhile, Snowkit began to feel a grumble in her stomach. "My am I starving!" she laughed.

            Wavekit stopped then turned around. "Well, I guess we could go get some food."

            "Okay," Oceankit squeaked. "Go catch us some fish, Snowkit."

            "But, shouldn't you guys catch your own food?" Snowkit suggested.

            "You said yourself that you could catch fish," Wavekit said. "And we decided to let you in this traveling group. The least you can do is get us some food."

            "Oh, okay," Snowkit said, shrinking down. She went off, trying to find a river or stream nearby.

            Snowkit growled, as she searched around, tossing a stick into a rock as she padded by. What was the matter with these two kits?! They had seemed so nice, but now they were just using her!

            Frustrated, Snowkit sat, her teeth bared at nothing. Anger surged through her mind and pelt.

            Out of pure frustration, Snowkit bellowed, "WHY AREN'T YOU HERE, MOTHER?!"