Chapter 30

"Snowfeather, wake up," the gentle mew from Rivertail rang in Snowfeather's ears. She opened her eyes to see the sun had nearly risen, and all the nests were empty in the warriors den.

"You're going to be late for patrols," Rivertail said, letting out a smile.

Snowfeather smiled a little too, and she got up from her nest to pad outside into the MoonClan camp. Cats were already gathered by the deputy who issued cats to each patrol.

Snowfeather could already see Lionstripe's ginger pelt glow in the sunlight, though her stomach churned as she noticed Skyblossom next to him.

"Snowfeather, Rivertail," the voice of the deputy, Fishstorm, boomed. "You're on the patrol with Lionstripe."

Snowfeather couldn't help but give a little hop of excitement as she went over to where Lionstripe and the others stood. She watched as Skyblossom was assigned to another patrol. She issued a quick good-bye Lionstripe then padded off.

Lionstripe's face lit up as he saw Snowfeather and Rivertail. He gave a small nod to Rivertail, then gazed down with his green eyes at Snowfeather. "So, you decided to stay?" he asked.

Snowfeather nodded. "I decided to give MoonClan a chance for awhile. Who knows? I might love it here."

Lionstripe gave a nice nod as the patrol began to pad off. Snowfeather stayed by Rivertail's side as they patrolled the borders.

"You like Lionstripe," Rivertail whispered.

"No!" Snowfeather denied. "He's just very nice, that's all."

Rivertail suppressed a small giggle. "Come on, Snowfeather. I've been watching the way you've been staring at him. I saw when you looked at him the first time. Come on, you obviously like him."

"Hush down," Snowfeather whispered. "Alright, I like him, but what about Skyblossom? She obviously likes him too. It's probably too late."

Rivertail kept her mouth shut for a moment as they continued across the terrain of the forest. Then she spoke. "Yes, you're right, Skyblossom does, but Snowfeather, isn't it obvious that Lionstripe does not have a liking towards her? He never has! He's always thought they were just friends- that we were all best friends. I've known Lionstripe since kithood, and believe me, he'd probably think of it to be the oddest thing if he and Skyblossom became mates."

"But, they always seem to be by each other's sides. Their nests are even pushed together," Snowfeather complained.

"Skyblossom's idea, no doubt. But look, Snowfeather, you've got to believe me. Lionstripe is looking for another cat, not Skyblossom, and that cat is you."

"M-me? He said so himself?" Snowfeather asked, surprised.

"Well, no, but trust me, I'll help you out," Rivertail spoke, placing her tail on Snowfeather's shoulder.

"You really would do that for me?" Snowfeather asked. She'd barely known this she-cat for a day, and now suddenly she was beginning to understand friendship.

"That's what friends are for, right?"

"Oh, thank you!" Snowfeather exclaimed, jumping up and down. A few cats turned to around to oddly stare at the new member, but they turned away within a few moments.

"Better catch up to him. You don't have Skyblossom to hold you back," Rivertail pointed out.

Snowfeather nodded, facing ahead of the patrol to catch up with Lionstripe. She padded up towards him, beginning to walk by his side.

Suddenly, her knees became shaky, and she felt her throat clog. How could she talk to Lionstripe right now? With Bear, it had all seemed so easy.

No, don't think about Bear, she thought. Lionstripe is not Bear. He's different.