Chapter 42

Snowfeather was awoken in the morning by the yowl of Rabbitfur. His voice boomed through the camp. "WeedClan, awake!"

            Snowfeather slowly opened her eyes, lifting herself to her feet. Before she could move, Rabbitfur burst into her den. "Awake, Snowstar! Your clan awaits for you to lead them on patrol."

            "Do you always wake up so early?" she asked.

            Rabbitfur nodded. "Yes, Snowstar. Now go, you must start your patrol!"

            "I don't even know where I'm going," Snowfeather argued as Rabbitfur pushed her out of the den. Immediately, the same warriors stood by her side like guards, protecting her. Snowfeather stood tall and proud as she walked towards the rock, remembering that she had to get the cats to trust her in order to escape.

            She slowly padded onto the familiar log, looking at the clanmates who cheered as they gazed at her.

            "Cats of WeedClan," she purred. Cats began to silence their cries, and Snowfeather felt Rabbitfur stand beside her. "It is my honor to lead my very first patrol as leader of WeedClan!"

            Cats erupted in cheer, silenced as Rabbitfur began to read off the names of cats who were lucky to patrol with their leader. Once he had finished, the guards stood by Snowfeather's side again as she walked down the log, beginning to pad into the forest.

            Rabbitfur walked beside her as she began to lead the cats. "Now, we usually patrol along the tree line," he said, pointing to the thick brush of trees. "We then head by the river and the meadow, making a complete circle. I'll guide you this first time, only this first time. You must remember from then on."

            Snowfeather nodded. "Of course," she said.

            She padded with Rabbitfur through the forest, the guards still at Snowfeather's side. She knew Rabbitfur was only taking precautionary measures in case she did try to escape, which she would if she had the chance. She had to gain his trust, that was all. Most of all, she had to gain his trust and escape before her kits were born. What would Rabbitfur do to them if they were born while she was still in WeedClan?

            She continued through the forest, realizing how dark it was. It was nothing like the beautiful MoonClan forest or the forest she had trained in with Stonecloud and Silverwhisker. This was much worse.

            Burnt trees lined the forest, ashes covering the floor. Crows cried up ahead, flying through the woods.

            "This forest is a bit, um, different," Snowfeather told Rabbitfur.

            "It is all right, Snowstar. You may say that it is a failing forest. But you will bring the water and plants back," Rabbitfur assured her.

            "Of course," Snowfeather told him, continuing on her way. She turned the corner with Rabbitfur, walking over some more ashes. She coughed as some flew in her face, and the guards immediately stopped.

            "Snowstar, are you alright?" one of them asked.

            Snowfeather nodded. "Fine, just inhaled some ash. Continue on the way," she instructed.

            She continued through the woods, still gazing at the dying forest. What had happened before that had caused it to fail like this?

            "We're nearing the river," Rabbitfur told her.

            Snowfeather nodded, waiting to hear the trickling water. She could not hear a sound though as they padded through bushes. They came to the snowy riverside, and Snowfeather peered over, seeing the river. It was nearly a quarter full, not nearly frozen over yet. The water was brown and dirty, most likely from the ash and other chemicals.