Chapter 2

Heatherwing had left the nursery since Poppykit and Strikekit had become apprentices. Snowkit was relieved. The she-cat had been mean and rude the whole time Snowkit had known her.

As for her, Snowkit hadn't recovered from seeing the ginger tom die. She relived it every night, seeing the tom die again and again. Every time she tried to move her legs to save him, they were stuck, so she couldn't help the tom.

Snowfeather had to comfort her kit each night, telling her it was just a dream and that she was alright. But Snowkit wasn't alright anymore. She was scarred. Who knew how long the dreams would last? They had lasted a moon and a half. How much longer would they last?

Snowkit groaned as she opened her eyes. The sunlight lit up the den. Flightkit and Icekit were already gone, probably with Whiteclaw. Whiteclaw loved the two very much, not caring about Snowkit at all.

"Good morning," Snowfeather said.

"Morning," Snowkit grumbled.

Snowkit sighed as she stretched. It had been another night of non-stop nightmares. This time the ginger tom had a name. His name had been Flick in the dream, yet Snowkit doubted it was his real name.

"I couldn't help him," Snowkit whispered.

"Are you still thinking about the ceremony?" Snowfeather asked. "You're four and a half moons, Snowkit. Try to forget."

"I can't forget, Mommy." Snowkit began to pace around the empty nursery. "Everytime I try to, it just comes back. It's stuck in my head forever."

"Sweetie, you need to forget. It's driving you insane. I don't want to see my little kit go insane," Snowfeather laughed.

Snowkit laughed too, rubbing her pelt against her mother's. Snowkit looked up as Briarstorm walked into the nursery.

She was another tough she-cat, one of the strongest in the clan. Her mate was Redpool, Shadowstar's son. Shadowstar only had one son, so he favored Redpool above all warriors. Redpool was only a kit when Shadowstar assigned a new deputy, so he was forced to assign Whiteclaw. If Whiteclaw had died now, Shadowstar would surely assign Redpool as the deputy.

"Can I help you with something, Briarstorm?" Snowfeather asked.

Briarstorm growled. She turned to face Snowfeather, revealing the pale scars that stood out against her black pelt.

"Yes, stupid she-cat," Briarstorm hissed. "I'm expecting Redpool's kits which means I'll be in the nursery now. I'll be moving in the nursery in a few sunrises. I want my nest properly made. No soggy nests! I want my kits to have the best!"

Snowfeather was about to speak when Snowkit stood up. "Don't talk to my Mommy that way!"

"Snowkit," Snowfeather said, pushing her daughter aside. "Of course, Briarstorm. I'll have your nest ready by then. Is there anything else you need?"

Briarstorm growled. "Make that pathetic kit of yours shut up."

"I'm terribly sorry," Snowfeather said as Briarstorm exited the den.

Snowfeather turned to Snowkit. Snowkit shrunk down, trying not to make eye contact with her mother.

"Snowkit, don't talk to the warriors that way! They could easily just exile you right now. I don't want to see you all alone in the woods," Snowfeather said. "I don't like being talked to that way, but if I do protest, they'll exile me too. I'll have to leave the clan."