Chapter 44

"Really?" Snowfeather asked, shock by his startling decision. "Thank you, Rabbitfur. I won't fail you, I promise," Snowfeather told him, though guilt filled her stomach. All these cats thought she loved WeedClan and that she was their faithful leader, and she would all be betraying them very shortly.

            "Do not use your powers to a great extent," Rabbitfur warned her. "It should only be used on the revival of the clans. Remember, patrol tomorrow," he told her.

            Snowfeather nodded. "Yes, I remember," she said. "May I make an announcement to the clan about this exciting moment."

            "What a splendid idea," Rabbitfur said. "Follow me."

            It felt odd walking alongside him without a million guards standing by her side. She could freely walk up onto the familiar log. Cats gazed at her and smiled, and she smiled back, a real smile. She was thrilled she would be able to escape.

            "CATS OF WEEDCLAN!" she yowled. Cats looked at her, their eyes fixed on their leader. The entire sky could be falling, and they would not have noticed.

            "I have thrilling news. As you may have noticed, no guards stood by me on my way up here. These precautionary measures were put up by Rabbitfur as he began to trust me. Now I can be trusted as your full leader! The magical borders are gone, the guards too, and now, I can use my powers and revive this clan!"

            Cats cheered at this announcement, turning back to Snowfeather. One tom shouted out, "Do a demonstration!"

            Snowfeather froze. "No, no, that is not necessary. My powers are only used for revival."

            "Revive something here!" another cat shouted.

            Snowfeather turned to Rabbitfur for help, but he only gazed at her, waiting for her to say something. She was leader now, and she no longer took advice from him.

            "No," she hissed. Cats were taken aback by this. She stopped, knowing they had to like and trust her. "I mean, that won't be necessary. My powers will fail if I use them all right now, and I must use them to revive the clan. You'll see them a bit leader, by the end of the moon."

            "Why such a long wait?" Rabbitfur asked.

            "To keep them in suspense," she whispered.

            "We've been in suspense for moons. Do not keep them waiting too long," he told her.

            "This time next week I will have showed my powers. Don't worry, Rabbitfur. They'll see my powers then," she spoke. She turned, waving to the crowd once more. In less than seven sunrises, she needed to escape, or else she couldn't describe what WeedClan would do to her.

Snowfeather awoke to yet another cloudy day. Four sunrises had gone by, four sunrises she had kept the clan in suspense. She knew with only three sunrises left, she'd have to either escape, or tell the truth, and telling the truth was not an option.

            She yawned and stretched, gazing at her stomach like she did every morning. Her stomach was growing a bit more, and she knew the clan would start getting suspicious soon. She had to hurry up and escape before her kits were born.

            She padded outside, meeting Rabbitfur by the fresh-kill pile. He smiled, shoving a squirrel towards her. She began to gobble it up as she sat beside him.

            "Good morning," he said.

            "My, my manners are failing. Good morning to you," Snowfeather told him. "How is everything right now?"

            "Good, good," Rabbitfur said. "When are you planning to use your powers?"

            "Why do you ask?" Snowfeather asked him.

            "I need to patrol all day long one of these days to make sure we're ready for your powers. I need to know when you'll use them so I can make sure everything is ready," Rabbitfur told her.

            "All day?"

            "It is a long process. I must patrol the entire forest," Rabbitfur said.

            "Why not tomorrow?" Snowfeather asked. "I've kept them waiting long enough, and the forest must be revived!"

            "Tomorrow it shall be. I will patrol today. Are you all right on your own today?" he asked.

            "All right? I'm perfectly fine on my own," she purred.

            "Well, then it is decreed, Snowstar. I'll patrol the entire border today. Do not let any cats on patrols. I don't want them causing more damage for what comes tomorrow," Rabbitfur smiled. "Off I go! Make sure to make an announcement to the clan."

            "Why, certainly," Snowfeather purred. She watched as he padded into the woods, and then she rose, silently cheering. Today, she would escape. Today, she would be free.

            She padded onto the log, and cats eyed her as she did so. They gathered without any call, all staring at Snowfeather with excitement.

            "I'm sure you all know why I'm up here," she purred. With those words, cats began to cheer.

            "Tomorrow I will be using my powers to revive this forest!" she declared. "Are you all ready?!"

            Cats cheered and screamed. "Yes, Snowstar!" they screeched.

            "Good," she purred. She headed off the log, padding over to some guards who guarded the camp. They eyed her as she came towards them.

            "I beg your pardon, but I just wanted to let you know I'm meeting up with Rabbitfur in the woods to patrol. I'll be back soon," she assured them.

            "Very well, Snowstar," the orange tom said, though he seemed suspicious.

            "See ya!" she told him, running into the dead woods. She giggled and screeched happily. She was free!