Chapter 45

Snowfeather immediately climbed up the nearest tree, knowing it would be a good idea to scout out first to make sure Rabbitfur was not nearby. When she saw he was nowhere in sight, she went off, knowing she had to rely on StarClan to escape.

            She padded down the tree, blending into the fluffy white snow. She moved quickly and swiftly through the dead woods. She looked around constantly, making sure no cat was nearby. She then continued moving, the snow beginning to fall lightly. At one point, she stopped near a tree, knowing she had to ask StarClan for help.

            She closed her eyes, whispering, "Show me the whirlpool, StarClan. Lead me out of this horrid place," she prayed.

            Hearing a twig snap, she froze. She crouched down near a bush, noticing Rabbitfur nearby. She gasped, holding in her breath. Rabbitfur went by, gazing around. He looked at the bush, the continued on. Snowfeather knew she would be better traveling by mist as she headed out of the dying woods.

            Once he had faded into the distance, she transformed into mist, moving through the dead woods. StarClan, Mother, please help me, help us, she begged inside her head as she moved through the woods.

            Snow fell quicker now, not that she minded. She had to blend in somehow. She continued moving until she saw thick woods again with glorious leaves and soft snowy grounds, not charred trees and ashes scattered everywhere,

            She transformed back into a cat, beginning to pad through the woods. Suddenly, she saw a light gleam down. StarClan's light! It wasn't a tale! It was true!

            "I'm coming, Lionstripe!" she said, padding through the woods. These woods were thicker and alive, not dead and scrawny. The light continued to move as she walked towards it, and she knew a whirlpool had to be nearby. She only hoped it had not frozen over in the cold season of leaf-bare.

            She continued following the light, her footsteps lightly touching the soft snow. With each step she took, she knew she was a step closer to home, a step closer to her family, a step closer to the ones she loved.

            "Kits, we're going home," she whispered, continuing to follow the light. The storm began to slow down now, only soft snowflakes following. The light continued to shine, and she continued to follow. She would have to thank StarClan for this wonderful miracle.

            She began to yawn, tired. She knew she had to keep walking. If she stopped, she might be found before she had a chance to return home.

            She continued walking, wondering how much longer it would be before she found the whirlpool that would take her home to FoxClan, the whirlpool that would lead her back to her life.

            She wondered what would happen when the WeedClan cats found out she was missing. Would they come after her? Would they follow her? What if they were following her right now and she had no idea?

            "Snowfeather," a voice boomed. It wasn't a large, terrifying voice, but a soft, gentle one. Snowfeather recognized it as her mother's voice.

            "Mother?" she asked, gazing around the snowy forest. Her mother was nowhere to be found though.

            Snowfeather continued to follow the light, beginning to chase it now. "MOTHER?! MOTHER?!" she asked, continuing to run. She ran faster and faster, faster than she had ever run before. It was like running from Wavekit all over again, except this time, she was running towards something, not away from something.

            "Mother?!" she called again. Suddenly, she tripped over a stone, landing face first in the snow. She groaned, slowly rising to her feet. She took a step forward, but the light did not move. Instead, it began to shine and glow over a pool.

            "The whirlpool!" Snowfeather gasped, padding towards the pool. Water and light shined brightly, and Snowfeather knew this whirlpool would get her home.

            She looked up, seeing a figure walk by. As it came closer, she recognized the figure as her mother. Her mother smiled, gazing at her with those same gentle blue eyes.

            "Snowfeather," she purred.

            "Mother," Snowfeather said, running towards her mother. Her mother smiled as Snowfeather came close, and Snowfeather could feel the gentle rasp of her tongue along the top of her head.

            "I've missed you," Snowfeather told her.

            Her mother smiled. "As have I, Snowfeather. We've heard your cries and prayers Snowfeather, and your good intentions and belief in StarClan has allowed you to gain access to the whirlpool that will lead you to your destination. I must ask, do you truly want to return home?"

            "Of course! I want to give birth to my kits, to go back to Lionstripe, to be with everyone again!" Snowfeather told her. Why would her mother not want her to return?

            "Very well. You must listen to the directions very carefully, Snowfeather, very carefully indeed," her mother said.

            "I will," Snowfeather told her.

            "You must concentrate hard on where you want to go. Envision it inside your mind. You must then dip your nose into the whirlpool. From then on, you will be transported," her mother told you. "I just wanted to tell you, I'm very proud of you, Snowfeather. I never believed you'd grow into this young she-cat today."

            "Thank you, Mother," Snowfeather said. "Farewell until next time we meet."

            Her mother nodded slowly. Snowfeather took a step towards the portal, envisioning FoxClan in her mind. She thought of Sunstar in her den, the apprentices training in the woods, her long hunts with Lionstripe, Mistyfall's gentle face.

            With these thoughts in her mind, Snowfeather dipped her nose into the water. Immediately, ripples began to swirl, and Snowfeather looked up, suddenly being lifted into the air. StarClan's light and the whirlpool water fused, and her eyes glowed a bright blue as she spun around. A blue light flashed through the woods, and Snowfeather felt energy surge through her. She then blacked out.