Chapter 3

A half moon had passed for Snowkit. Her nightmares had faded, but the image of the ginger tom in her mind would stay there forever, always a memory.

            Icekit and Flightkit were overjoyed that it would be a moon before they became apprentices, but Snowkit wasn't so happy. She knew she wouldn't succeed on her training. She'd probably have to fix all the other apprentices' nests each day. She would most likely be the one gathering moss for the elders and picking ticks off. She'd be the slave.

            As for other news, Briarstorm had given birth to five kits. A very large litter. Redpool and Shadowstar were very pleased with the number of kits. There were three she-cats and two toms. Each acted fiercely, just as Flightkit and Icekit did.

            The largest one was Robinkit. She was a ginger she-cat who resembed Redpool. Her eyes were a deep amber, and she was one of the fiercest of the litter. Pollenkit was a light ginger tom who also took after his father. He wasn't as fierce as the others. In fact, he was the runt, but he didn't show it all. Featherkit was a white and black she-cat. She was no doubt her mother's favorite. Brighkit was a light gray tabby she-cat. She was the least fierce out of her sisters, but she was much fiercer and wilder than Pollenkit. The last kit was Darkkit. He was a pure black tom with bright green eyes. He was right alongside with Robinkit as the fiercest.

            Flightkit and Icekit enjoyed playing with the five kits while Snowkit stayed aside, trying not to make eye contact with any kit.

            She remembered the day that Pollenkit had accidently stumbled onto her. Snowkit was curled up in her mother's tail, when she heard a yowl nearby. Opening her eyes, Pollenkit had gasped, seeing the bright blue eyes standing out of the white fur. He asked who she was and Snowkit had tilted her head. She had explained she was Flightkit and Icekit's sister, Snowkit. Apparently Briarstorm's kits had no other knowledge of her. They had thought that Flightkit and Icekit were the only other kits in the nursery.

            Pollenkit had been kind, apologizing, but his mother quickly made lectured him, telling him that Snowkit was a mere runt, destined to be a nursery queen. That was the closest Snowkit had ever felt to someone. Sure, Pollenkit wasn't a friend. He was more fierce now, not even paying attention to Snowkit, but it had been the first time that Snowkit had been apologized to. That had made her day.

            When Snowkit awoke to see the storm clouds lining up the sky, she knew it was going to be a bad day. She was correct as she saw her siblings whispering with Briarstorm's kits. She pricked her ears, hearing her name.

            Snowkit groaned as Featherkit, Brightkit, and Robinkit walked over towards her. "Come play with us," Featherkit said, gesturing her black and white tail over to the other kits.

            "I'm fine here," Snowkit said.

            With an evil smile, Brightkit pushed Snowkit off of her mother's nest, almost dragging her to the other cats.

            "Let me go!" Snowkit mewed. She was bigger than Brightkit, but there was no way that she was stronger.

            "Icekit, Flightkit!" Snowkit mewed, hoping her siblings would help. But her siblings just laughed as she was dragged to the group of cats.

            "We're going to play a game," Pollenkit hissed. The kit had changed ever since the day he had stumbled upon Snowkit.

            "What kind of game?" Robinkit asked.

            "A deadly game!" Darkkit growled.

            Snowkit looked around for her mother, quickly forgetting her mother had been collecting moss for Briarstorm. Snowkit then looked around for Briarstorm. She spotted her, napping in her nest, unaware of what her kits did.