Prologue

StarClan had remained calm for many moons, experiencing only positive news and outcomes, avoiding as much trouble as possible. The clans-SnowClan and FoxClan-had done well with following StarClan's path.

Little did they know about BloodClan. The clan far into the mountains, concealed by the vast and lucious trees. No cat was seen coming in or out of the forest. If a cat was seen, it was very rare. The clan was well hidden. Not many knew of their existence.

BloodClan wasn't the nicest clan around. For ages they had been a secretive yet fierce clan. They would stop any animal in its footsteps receiving large amounts of prey. There was nothing against killing in their warrior code. They were known as the fiercest cats of the forest. Then, Moonkit was born. The silver-blue she-cat had changed the definition of fierce. It wouldn't happen yet, but Moonkit would soon start her own clan. It would be more skilled than SnowClan. It would have better survival instincts than FoxClan. It would have more cats than SnowClan and FoxClan combined. It would replace BloodClan. BloodClan would lose its name as the fiercest clan in the forest.

If BloodClan cats transferred over to Moonkit's future clan, terror would be brought to the forest. Destruction, harm, agony would flood over the forest. SnowClan and FoxClan would lose, causing StarClan to fall to the Dark Forest. No cat was safe.

Stonecloud nervously walked through StarClan as she thought of what would happen if StarClan fell. It couldn't fall. StarClan was her home. She had to protect her surviving kin that strived in SnowClan and FoxClan.

Stonecloud was trying to seek out a dead leader from BloodClan. Most had ended in the Dark Forest. That's how most BloodClan cats spent their days after death. Some, however, acted and treated each other like normal clan cats. Their reward was StarClan.

Stonecloud had tried to seek one out for days, only resulting in failure. She couldn't discuss the prophecy with a Dark Forest cat. That would be a horrible idea. It was only when she had awoken that she had found Berrystar.

Berrystar was one of the ancient BloodClan leaders. She didn't believe in killing or taking over the forest. She wanted BloodClan to be a normal clan like the rest. She had lost to the rest of her clan members. Her clan members wanted to kill and listen to the cries of dying cats. Berrystar had defended herself, but lost everything to BloodClan. Her leadership, her family, her life.

Stonecloud walked through the forest, seeking the cream colored she-cat. Stonecloud stopped, spotting her by some rocks. She was looking into the stars.

"Berrystar," Stonecloud said, padding forward.

The cream she-cat turned around and let out a gentle smile. "Stonecloud, it's good to see you."

"I came to discuss the prophecy," Stonecloud said. "I couldn't find any other BloodClan leaders who had gone to StarClan."

"You wouldn't have," Berrystar said. "I'm the only one who made it to StarClan. The first and the only."

"What a shame," Stonecloud said.

"I tried to change them," Berrystar sighed.

"You tried your best," Stonecloud said.

Berrystar shook her head. She climbed onto a nearby rock, standing on it as the wind flew by her pelt, creating a breeze that chilled Stonecloud's pelt.

"The Dark Forest is rising," Berrystar proclaimed. "I can feel it. A fight is coming."

"Of course," Stonecloud said. "Moonkit will rise."

Berrystar shook her head. "You don't get it, do you? Moonkit won't rise just once. Maybe she'll die. Even if that happens, she still can take control of StarClan."

"What are you saying?" Stonecloud asked.

"Have sense, Stonecloud. Moonkit will rise again and again and again until someone stops her," Berrystar said.

"StarClan will stop her," Stonecloud growled. Anger spiked through her pelt. She would defend StarClan at all costs. She had to keep everyone safe.

"Maybe," Berrystar said. "Maybe not. If the army gets big enough, we're all in trouble." Stonecloud didn't reply. She was getting annoyed with the ancient she-cat.

Berrystar continued to look at the sky. "My time to fade away is near. I know it is. Most cats have forgotten about my existence. You bought me only a little more time here," she said to Stonecloud. "Soon, I won't be here to help BloodClan anymore. Only the Dark Forest will be able to aid my clan. Everything will go wrong."

"I'm sorry," Stonecloud said. "We should probably discuss the prophecy now."

"I'll listen," Berrystar said. "I don't know how much help I'll be. What is the prophecy?"

Stonecloud sighed. "The moon's shine will spread to the land of blood, enclosing the royals in its grasp. The land of blood will be outraged, crying for their leaders. None of the royals will be able to free from its shine, except one. The one of snow will be abandoned. Darkness and depression will fill her soul, but the shine will miss her, saving her from even more darkness."

"What does this mean?" Berrystar asked. "It's a long prophecy. I don't see how it will help the cause."

"There is already another prophecy about the problem. This one is directed to BloodClan. I think Shadowstar is going to die soon. Whiteclaw is the deputy."

"What does this have to do with anything?" Berrystar hissed. "Snowfeather is his mate and," she stopped. "Snowfeather will be abandoned?"

Stonecloud shook her head. "No, Berrystar. Snowfeather has given birth to three kits. One is named Snowkit. I think Snowkit will be abandoned. Whiteclaw will become leader. I think that his family will fall into Moonkit's paws. All of his family except...Snowkit."

"Snowkit will be saved," Berrystar said. "It is a blessing."

"And a curse," Stonecloud said. "She'll live a life of sadness, but it will save her life in return. She'll never experience the darkness that her family will experience."

"Yes," Berrystar said. "That is what the prophecy means." She stood up, beginning to walk away from Stonecloud.

"Where are you going?" Stonecloud asked, reaching forward to the she-cat.

"I told you. My time is near, Stonecloud. You have bought me just enough time. I'm going now to fade away with the rest of the cats. I trust you to help my clan, Stonecloud," Berrystar said, her silhouette beginning to fade with the rest of the forest.

"Wait! Berrystar!" Stonecloud called.

"I trust you," her words echoed the forest.

Stonecloud sat in the forest, alone. "What have I gotten myself into?" she muttered.