26

As soon as dad got to Whitmore I went to him. The doctors and nurses tried to keep me out. "He's my dad you can't keep me from seeing him."

"They are still prepping him. It's just a few more minutes." The worried nurse tried to convince me. I was pretty violent so I understood why she was scared.

I heard footsteps and saw Jo. "Come this way." She motioned to me as I ran over and followed her into a room.

"Dad." I smiled at him as I got in the room. I breathed nervously as I looked at him.

"Emmie." He replied weakly. "I'm okay." He assured as I nodded and grabbed his hand.

"How is this possible?" I asked looking at Jo.

"I couldn't tell you." She replied as she closed the door. "All I know is he'll live." She nodded as I stood up and hugged her. I hoped she had more information or that she saw something, but nothing. I didn't know her enough to risk telling her either.

"Thank you." I thanked quietly as she slowly wrapped around me. "It means more than you know." I smiled lightly to her and went back over to dad.

"So how's it feel? Being weak and human?" I asked jokingly with a small smile.

"Like I could die at any given moment." He replied.

"Sounds fun." I replied with a laugh. He laughed too but then groaned. "Oh I'm sorry." I looked at him.

He shook his head. "It's fine. It's great actually." He nodded as he held my hand.

"I love you so much." I put his hand on my face and smiled at him.

I spent the night in the slightly uncomfortable cushioned chair next to his gurnie bed. I woke up to beeping and I nervously shot up. "Damon? What the hell?"

"Great you're awake." He looked at me. "I was just updating Ric here on how upset I was about Elena. Of course you supported her to do it so I guess everyone holds a little bit of fault."

"Actually she told me she was doing it and I was surprised. I didn't convince her on anything." I replied crossing my arms as he started playing with wires. "Seriously stop." I swatted his hand. He gave me a quick stank face.

"Yeah I'll die for real this time if you mess anything up." Dad spoke looking at Damon as he pulled off the finger monitor thing. The beeping got louder and Jo ran in.

She sighed in relief when she saw Dad wasn't actually dying. "Good morning." She smiled.

"Hey. I don't know if this is a good time." Dad smiled back.

"Just a heads-up, doc. You're gonna be in real high demand with a bunch of vampires who want to be human again if you could repeat that little healing trick that you did at the border with Ric last night." Damon spoke as I looked up for Jo's response.

"Well, just a heads-up, but saving Alaric's life was a matter of a treatable death wound, perfect timing, and fear of losing the most interesting guy I've dated in a while plus adrenaline. One-hundred-percent unrepeatable, which is why you will tell no one." She sasses and I smiled. She really did like him and honestly I thought it was cute.

"She's bossy." Damon commented turning to Dad.

"Mm-hmm." Dad smiled almost proudly.

"I like her." Damon nodded. He tapped Dad, who winces in pain again.

"Damon I won't hesitate to throw you across the room if you don't watch it." I commented looking at him.