Chapter 30: The Truth

-Ava's POV-

I stomp down the hill and throw myself into one of the Adirondack chairs out in the yard.

I wish I wasn't so mad right now. The view from where I'm sitting is beautiful. The sky full of stars reflecting on the ocean. But I can't enjoy it, I'm literally fuming.

I curse myself for reacting like that in front of everyone. I am never like that. Harry seems to bring out a lot of emotions I'd rather not feel or show.

I just can't believe him. What else has he lied about? Probably everything.

It doesn't matter Ava. It doesn't. He shouldn't mean anything to you. You don't need yet another person in your life you can't trust.

Ugh! I rake my hands through my hair, pulling at the ends. Why did he do this? I want to look at Harry and see a sweet, charming, funny guy. But instead I see Scott. Someone who lies to me just to get what he wants.

I drop my head into my hands. I can't even think that name without feeling panic rush over me.

I don't even raise my head as I hear someone sit down in the chair next to me.

"Harry, I'm not going to talk to you, so please just go away."

"Well will you talk to me?" I hear a woman's voice respond.

I look up to find Gemma sitting next to me.

"Did Harry send you?"

She chuckles, "God no, he didn't want me to come out here."

"Good, but I'm not going to fucking talk about him with you either." I spit.

She raises her eyebrows at me and I immediately feel horrible.

"I'm sorry. I have absolutely no reason to be rude to you... you haven't done anything. I'm so sorry."

"Apology accepted." She smiles, showing me her dimples. Wow her and Harry look so much alike.

"So I'm guessing you're the reason he's here." I sigh.

"Yup. And I'm guessing he's the reason you're angry."

I can't help but chuckle, "Yes. And no, I think I'm more angry with myself."

"In my 20 years of knowing Harry, I've found it's much easier to just put all the blame on him." She laughs.

"I wish I could do the same."

"Well let me help you. Tell me what you think is your bit in it and I'll tell you why that really should be blamed on Harry."

"I'm beginning to see why he didn't want you to come out here."

"I love my brother, but I also know how stubborn he can be. So out with it."

I wipe my hands across my face. Should I really be telling her anything? I don't even know her.

"Look Ava, I get you don't know me..."

Wow, is it just a trait of the Styles family that they can read my mind?

"I have a hard time trusting anyone, so don't take it personally." I lean back into my chair, staring up at the stars.

"So I'm guessing you trusted him and he broke that trust?..."

I shrug my shoulders, "It doesn't matter, it's done."

"Would you be sitting out here if it really didn't matter?"

"Look Gemma, you seem really nice and I do get that you are trying to help. But please don't."