Letters part1

Oct 1st 1947

Dear Miss DunBroch,

       I know you don't know me but I am currently living in your previous apartment down on Berbow st. I have been getting your mail for some time now. I asked the landlord and he gave me your forwarding address so I could have them returned to you. However, I must confess there is another reason I am writing to you. I mistook one of your packages for mine since I was waiting to receive a cookbook from my mother. A joke at my expense, she's worried I won't know how to cook for myself now that I've left home. She is not wrong. Anyway, I was surprised to that it turned out to be a mystery novel called "Laura" I couldn't help myself and began reading it and finished it at an ungodly hour. Basically this is an apology letter for opening your package (by mistake) and reading your book. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

             Sincerely, Hiccup Haddock

  October 4th 1947

Dear Mr. Haddock,
     Thank you for returning my mail. I had meant to provide a forwarding address to the bookstore but had simply forgotten. No hard feelings for reading the book. It is one of my personal favorites. I had ordered it new since the last one was unfortunately damaged from a flood that had sprung from a busted pipe in the bathroom. (Hope you're enjoying the new hallway carpet) My friend Rapunzel had dragged me to her book club and that was what they were reading. I was surprised and intrigued to see it was a woman who wrote this mystery novel. Not many women I know have published novels especially in that genre. I am very happy you enjoyed it as much as I did. I recommend "Bedelia " to you as well. Another great suspenseful novel.

Sincerely,
              Merida DunBroch 

October 13th 1947

Dear Miss DunBroch 

Amazing! Your recommendation was- I dare say- better than the first! My friend Jack even decided to read it and enjoyed it as well. I hope you don't mind me asking, as we are complete strangers, but I feel like I have to discuss this book with someone who has read it or I will burst. Jack is good company, but we tend to share the same ideals, so it would be great getting your point of view. Why do you think Bedelia follows her husbands orders at the end? Sure she was portrayed as this obedient housewife, but she was also trying to murder him so doesn't that make her somewhat independent by taking life literally in her own hands? Also wouldn't he still want the baby? Also what do you think her motive was because Jack and I think it was for financial gain because there aren't really many job opportunities in 1913 for women so it was either get married or... well I'm not quite sure. Just for the record I do not share these ideals and if there are more redeeming job examples for women in the early twentieth century I'd be interested to know. I'm glad to see we are progressing by having female writers as well. Anyway I've probably written far too many thoughts and please tell me if this would be an unwanted conversation. Thanks for the news about my new pipes and carpet. 

Sincerely, 

                    Hiccup Haddock

                                                                                                                                                          October 19th 1947

Dear Mr. Haddock,                                  

Once again I'm glad you enjoyed it. To answer your questions on the novel, in my opinion I don't think she became a murderess to find some way of controlling her life. Financial gain is a good motive, but I find it more interesting to think she did this in order to have control. As for the ending, I believe she may have gone too far for comfort. She was finally caught by her current husband and knew eventually he would turn her in. Even though her husband commanded her to do it, it was technically her own decision. Either take the poison or be sent to prison. She decided to take the poison. You are correct that there were not many opportunities for women, but I could name a few occupations. Seamstresses, bank tellers, factory workers(although this was more frequent during our recent war than World War 1.) and there were still female authors. Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters were around before the twentieth century. I do not mind writing to you, although i do admit it is a peculiar arrangement. It is nice being able to talk to someone who has similar taste in novels. If you have any recommendations I would be very interested in reading and discussing them with you. By the way, I'm curious, did the cookbook ever arrive? Have you used it? 

Sincerely, 

                       Merida Dunbroch

Author's note: There will be more I promise but I thought I should get this out sooner than later. This writing style is different than what I usually do, but I like it a lot. i should give you guys another update in the next couple of days. Don't forget to comment and vote!