Long Live the Chief

Hiccup looked at his reflection in his father's shield. His large fur cape was draped over his slim shoulders. He stood tall like both his parents, but he knew he didn't look like his father. He smiled thinking of a conversation he had with his late father. 

"Stand up straight Hiccup it'll make you look taller and bigger," Stoick said, 

"I'll never be as tall as you," Hiccup replied, 

"No you won't, but as long as you present yourself as tall and as strong as a mountain, well that's all people will see," 

He sighed as the memory faded away. He had been in his chambers for over an hour. People were probably starting to worry, but he couldn't seem to step out of his room. What if he just stayed here for the rest of time, he could sneak out the window at night to go fly with Toothless and just remain perfectly content. No responsibilities, no decisions, just flying and solitude. 

A smaller frame came into the reflection followed by a mass of red hair. It was Merida wearing her best viking attire. She had come here three years ago and yet she looked like she had belonged in Berk her whole life. Her hair was wild but she wore her best armor to show respect for her newfound village and her future chief. 

"They're all waiting you know," she smiled at Hiccup. 

He gave her a small smile in return, she took his hand in hers "It's alright, all you have to do is walk out there, have some sacred words said and a mark on your forehead and then it's all over," 

"Yeah but then I have to lead a whole village," 

Merida turned him towards her, "You're going to be a wonderful chief, you've already done so many great things. This is just about making it official," 

"I don't know if I want to be chief, Merida. I can't make decisions like my father, it effects everyone involved," 

"Hiccup, you know I'm here for you. Whatever you want to do, I'll support it. If you want to fly off on Toothless and live on some dragon island, I'll make sure it happens. But you need to really to take a good look at yourself. You are Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third, Dragon Tamer and Bringer of Peace, you will always be a leader no matter where you are," 

Merida had always looked at him with admiration, but never as strongly as this moment. Hiccup saw the hopefulness and pride in her eyes as her hand grasped his tighter with comfort. She always believed in him the most even when he faltered. He knew she was right. 

"I think I'm ready now," he smiled, "Unless you'd like to be chief, you seem to have a knack for inspirational speeches," 

Merida laughed, "Careful I might just decide to overthrow you," she teased. 

"I'd gladly abdicate for you, I couldn't do this without you Mer," 

"Oh yes you could, but you don't have to," 

Merida took him by the arm and they proceeded to walk out the door to greet their village and present their new chief. 

Authors note: Super short I know but hey it's something! Summer is coming up so you know what that means. More updates!!! I have a lot of fun ideas and I can't wait to start working again. Thanks for all the support!