Pact

"Goodnight!" Hiccup panicked fleeing his doorstep to the safety of his home.

Merida looked up from her spot on the couch as her friend locked the door behind him. Merida had been crashing on his couch for a few days while she her house was being fumigated.

"That bad?" she asked with a handful of chips in her mouth.

"Very bad," he replied "she never talked, not to say it's bad not to talk but it got to the point where I thought she was mute,"

He sat down next to her and put his hand in the bag of potato chips grabbing a few big ones since he knew Merida likes the crumb bits at the end.

"Maybe she was nervous? It was a first date," she assured him.

"Maybe but I mean I tried to ask her questions and she'd give me one worded answers,"

"Where'd you meet her again?"

"Jack recommended her, they used to work together or something,"

"Makes sense Jack does most of the talking anyway,"

Hiccup looked toward the screen and saw Phineas and Ferb playing on the television. It was Merida's go to for not knowing what to watch.

"Phineas and Ferb really?"

"Hey it's creative and still holds up," she defended.

He laid on the far side of the couch and rested his feet on top of her lap.

"I hate dating, how many years until our friendship marriage pack?"

Hiccup remembered the day they made that pack. They were both 20 and had both been dumped by their significant others on the same day. After a lot of booze they had written an unofficial contract on a napkin that stated if neither of them were married by the age of 40 the two friends would marry each other.

"Fifteen," she replied.

His body slowly draped off the couch in a dramatic fashion "ugh I can't date for another 15 years,"
"Is that a proposal?" Merida asked
jokingly,

"Yes, I proposed marriage to you while watching Phineas and Ferb after a terrible date,"

"Such a romantic you are Hiccup," she laughed,

He smiled and pulled himself up to his previous position. He nudged her with his foot.

"What?"

"What if we...I don't know tried going out for real?" he said not being able to look her in the eye.

Merida stopped breathing for a moment not prepared for such a loaded question. So she replied with one of her own "Do you want to?"

"I mean yeah it be a little weird at first but I wouldn't mind trying... I mean only if you want to,"

"I wouldn't mind but.." she said

"But what?"

"What if it ends badly?"

"What if it doesn't?"

"Hiccup..."

"Here we'll make a new pact I, Hiccup Haddock promise to take you out on one date and if you hate it then we'll go back to being friends like it never happened and will never be spoken about again," he announced

She rolled her eyes and smiled "We're actually doing this aren't we?"

"You still have to say yes,"

"Fine yes I agree to these terms you may take me on one date, if it's weird it shall never be spoken about again." She replied.

Hiccup smiled contently and a comfortable familiar silence filled the room, only the background noise of the tv could be heard and slowly Merida's hand had made its way to Hiccup's.

Authors note: I wrote this at very late hour so I apologize for any grammatical errors! Goodnight all!