Chapter 18

I stared at myself in the mirror wondering how the night would play out

I stared at myself in the mirror wondering how the night would play out. All week everyone talked about the dance and the after parties that would come to follow. I of course wouldn't be going to the after parties, but the school dance was definitely big for me.

I smoothed out my white dress and adjusted the cape over my shoulders. There was a light knock on my door and both Kyle and my dad walked in. My dad was carrying a little clear box with a simple white flower. It was a corsage.

"Dad, you do know that those are only for homecoming dances and for prom, right?"

"I wasn't sure if I should have or not. I never got to send you off to a school dance."

"It's fine. It looks perfect."

He took it out of the box and slipped it on my wrist. He was looking at my costume like it stung just looking at it. Kyle was being quiet but he too was looking me up and down.

"What made you chose the costume?" Dad asked.

"My friend Maya picked it out for me." I shrugged.

"Well, be careful and have fun. Don't stay out too late. If you need me just call. I have to head out now."

"Thanks, dad."

"I love you, kid." He hugged me and kissed the top of my head.

"I love you too, dad."

He walked out of the room, but Kyle didn't follow. I gave him a questioning look. He took a few steps to stand in front of me. He took a lock of my hair and twirled it around in his fingers.

"You look great, Chloe."

"Thanks."

"Your dad asked me to patrol the school later. I promise you won't even know I'm there."

"Of course you'll be there." I swatted his hand and started heading downstairs to wait for Maya.

"I'm only going to be there to keep you safe. It's my job."

"It's not your job to watch me. I have a dad to do that already. You have no right to take over that title."

I was reaching the last step when Kyle grabbed my arm and stopped me. The cape was heavy around my neck since it touched the floor. I stumbled but grabbed the railing to steady myself. Kyle had a serious look on his face.

"You're wrong, Chloe. I have every right because you're m-" He cut himself off and shook his head.

"Because...?"

"You'll find out soon enough."

I was going to ask him what he was talking about when phone started ringing. I dig into my cleavage for it and saw Maya's name.