Chapter 30

I leaned my head against the seat while I waited for Vincent in his car

I leaned my head against the seat while I waited for Vincent in his car. I felt sleepy and my body had become more achy. I blamed it on the running from last night. The low fever I was running was probably due to that as well. I had gotten all worked up while it being cold outside. I must be getting sick.

I could see Vincent talking to Archie at the door. Archie had seemed concerned about the fever I was running. It wasn't normal in wolves that we're going to shift to be getting sick. Whenever they did get sick it was because their bodies were rejecting the change.

When Vincent finally walked over to the car and opened the door, I felt the cool air hit me like a bucket of ice. It wasn't that cold outside. The snow was almost completely gone and the sun was actually out. When we stepped out of the house I started to shiver violently and the same thing was happening now.

"Your dad called Archie asking permission to scan our side of the woods. He's been looking for you." Vincent said. "Are you sure you don't want to talk to him?"

"I'm sure." I said.

Seeing my dad would only make things harder. I loved him and I wanted to trust him. I never imagined that my dad would be capable of giving me off to someone else. Even though Kyle had always been in my life, I couldn't see myself with him.

I never thought Kyle had ever seen me as something other than a close friend or maybe even a sister. As much as I tried to wrap my head around it, I just couldn't come to terms. Kyle was so good looking and at some point I might have thought we could have dated, but that was when I was a long time ago.

"Alright. I'm taking you to the Purple Lantern. We can have some privacy there and then go back home once your dad is done scoping out the place."

"Okay." I said.

I had snuggled in my seat bringing the jacket below my chin. Being snuggled like this wasn't going to help the fever but I was far too tried to care. Vincent drove the car and I tried not to fall asleep but eventually failed.

I was woken up when Vincent shook my shoulders. I lazily opened my eyes and I tried to move but failed. I felt like my strength had left my body. Vincent looked at me worriedly and I offered him a weak smile to reassure him I felt fine.

I didn't feel fine though.

I knew that when I actually made a bigger effort to move. Just the slightest movement to sit up caused my surroundings to spin. I closed my eyes and say still for a while.

"Chloe?"

I opened my eyes and looked at Vincent. He ran the back of his hand to my forehead, down my cheek, and to my neck. He had a frown and gave me that worried look again.

"Are you sure-"

"I'm just tired from yesterday, Vincent." I said. "I just want to sleep."

"Let's go inside and we'll eat something first." Vincent said.