Chapter 8

Chemistry

It's a simple subject, right? Not for me and not when I was stuck in a room with Vincent and Tessa. Here I was with the two people I didn't want to be stuck with. It was too early in the morning and I was lacking sleep. That didn't make such a good combination.

I tried to keep my attention on Mrs. Swan. Today for our lab work we would be making ice cream. I for one was excited until she started paring us all up. Most students groaned that we couldn't pick our own partners. I was actually relieved until I realized there was a possibility I could be pared up with Vincent.

The thought of being partnered up with him made me nervous. He always had a habit of doing that. He would look at me deeply and say things that made my stomach turn.

"Chloe and Mark," Mrs. Swan announced.

I was so relieved I didn't get stuck with Vincent but then I remembered that Mark wasn't in class today. I fought a groan and waited for her to announce the next person I could be paired up with.

"Mark isn't here and neither is James. I guess you can partner up with Tessa." Mrs. Swan said.

Her squinted eyes scanned the row of people and with a final nod she continued to the next group. Tessa looked at me with a murderous look. Yup, she didn't like me much.

Mrs. Swan handed us our paper with instructions. We were each assigned to a table that had two ziplock bags and other materials we would need. Tessa slammed her book on the table and took a seat next to me. I offered her a smile but the look she was giving me was deadly.

"Let's get this over with." She grumbled.

I sighed and opened up the smaller ziplock bag. I started going through the instructions and added the ingredients in the bag. After adding the sugar, milk, and vanilla, I started shaking the bag. Tessa only doodled on her notebook while I was shaking the bag.

"Could you get the salt and ice?" I asked.

With a glare she stood up to get the ice from Mrs. Swan. She came back with the large bag full of crushed ice. She plopped it on the table without so much as any further help. I ignored her rudeness and went over the next step.

"It says we have to shake the bag for five minutes." I informed her.

"Whatever."

"What's your problem?" I snapped.

She slammed her hand down on her book and turned to look at me. Her eyes were cold and she pulled her lip back in a snarl. Her dark brows creased in the middle.

"What's my problem? Are you seriously asking me that?" She spat. "Ask Vincent and then you can ask me what my problem is."

"Is this because of yesterday? I know you're his girlfriend-"