Chapter 17

"Chloe!"

I tried not to drop my books when Maya threw her arms around me. She laughed and fell into step next to me while keeping one arm around me. Maya had returned more into her normal self.

"So I was thinking we could go shopping tomorrow." Maya said. "There are a few costumes I want to try on."

"Why?" I asked.

"Why? The Halloween dance is next weekend, that's why." Maya sounded outraged that I didn't know anything about the dance. "You are coming, right?"

"Dances aren't really my thing, Maya."

"Everyone is going to be there, Chloe. I'm going to the dance with Dimitri. If you don't have a date you can tag along."

There was no way in hell I was going to be a third wheel especially with Dimitri and Maya. St. Mary's had regular school dances, but I never went even when I was invited. Music and dancing didn't sound appealing to me.

"Thanks but I'll pass."

"Think about it. If you decide you don't want to go, at least come shopping with me. I even invited Alexa just for you."

"For me?" I raised a brow.

Maya dropped her arm and looked more serious. "I miss Lex and I hate we haven't been getting along. I don't want things to end like that for me if something were to happen."

"What do you mean if something were to happen? I thought everything was okay with you."

"I'm fine, Chloe. I just want things to be right with the three of us. Lex has been my best friend since we were kids. I haven't known you that long but I love you like a sister. You really care about me in a way I don't deserve and I just wanted to say thank you for that."

We had stopped walking now. The way Maya was talking made me feel like she was saying her last goodbyes. I hugged Maya and I felt her start shaking. She was holding on to me so tight it felt hard to breathe. I heard her sobs next to my ear and I didn't have the heart to pull away.

"I'm scared, Chloe."

I pulled away. "Maya, what's going on with you?"

"Nothing, I'm just going through some things. Don't pay attention to me. Everything will be okay. Next week everything is going to change."

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Maya wiped her tears away and smiled. "Positive. So, this weekend I'll stop by to pick you up and we can go shopping. I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Fine. I'll ask my dad when I get home and then I'll text you."

"Great! See you at lunch."

Maya had more mood swings than a pregnant woman did. Lately it felt like her mood had become more intense. She seemed so sensitive to everything. I could only hope she wasn't mixed up in anything she should be.