Chapter 19

It felt like we were all frozen in time

It felt like we were all frozen in time. I could feel Maya struggling to get a breath of air, or at least that's what I thought it was. When my hands touched her shoulders to move her away from me, blood started dripping from her mouth onto me. I screamed and Maya was immediately lifted off of me. Kyle was helping to my feet while my dad was trying to help Maya.

"Are you okay?" Kyle asked.

I couldn't pay attention to anything he was saying. The only thing I could do was stare at Maya dying on the cold ground. That's what was happening to her. I knew it deep inside that it would be the outcome of tonight.

"Chloe, listen to me!" Kyle jerked my shoulders and made me look at him. His had a tight grip on my face to keep me from looking. "Are you hurt? She didn't scratch or bite you, did she?"

I shook my head not being able to voice a word. The relief on his face confused me. He wrapped his arms around me and crushed me to him. I numbly stood there while I tried to will my body to do something-anything.

"What the-"

We both turned when we heard voices. Vincent was there with Dimitri, Vladimir, Alexa, and Tessa. They all looked in shock at what was in front of them. Alexa was the first one to scream and she tried to run to Maya. Vladimir caught her around the waist even though she was fighting against him.

"Kyle, take Chloe home." My dad spoke. "Everyone else get out of here."

"Come on, Chloe-"

"No." I shoved him away.

I stepped around him and I saw the last thing I ever wanted to see. Maya's eyes were dead. They stared blankly up at the sky. Her wild hair was all over the place. There were red marks all cover her body where she clawed at her skin. The blood from her mouth had stopped and looked like it was drying.

My heart was breaking into a million pieces. I fell down to my knees and started crying. I was crying because my friend was dead even though no one would had confirmed it yet, and I was crying because my dad was the one who had ended her life. He was an officer, he could do that, but Maya was my friend.

"Get her out of here, Kyle." My dad ordered.

"Chloe-"

"No!" I fought against him. "NO!"

"Chloe, come on. You can't be here. Not like this." Vincent's soft voice triggered something in me.

"Where were you?!" I shouted at him. "Where, Vincent?!"

"I'm sorry, the teachers wouldn't let me out. I tried to explain but he wouldn't budge. There was something seriously wrong with Maya and no one is to blame for this. You couldn't have stopped it."

"I knew something was wrong, but I didn't say anything."

I was talking more to myself now. All of the signs were there but I chose to ignore them. I knew there was something going on with her. She was having an odd behavior that worried me, but she never said anything. As a friend I should have done something. I could have done more! She was dead because I didn't do anything.