Chapter 7

"Hey you."

I looked up at Alexa as she took a seat next to me. I was looking out at the streams thinking about Vincent. Of all people my mind could be on, it had to be him. The simple recognition irritated me to no end. I had put as much distance between us as possible. I was isolating myself from everyone else and they all noticed it. I kept getting looks from everyone in the group. I wish I could have just gone home instead of joining these people.

"Hey," I said.

"Why are you here all alone?" She asked.

I sighed and brought my knees up to my chest. I didn't want to go into a full explanation on why I was being so anti-social. Just thinking about it had my head throbbing. Why was I even thinking about this so much? It's not like he liked me or anything like that. Dimitri was the one who's interested. He proved it by kissing me, for god's sake!

"It's peaceful and I just want to enjoy the view." I lied.

"You can enjoy it with the rest of us. Everyone is cool, you know. Even Maya is getting along with Vlad's friends."

"What's going on with you and Maya?" I asked, changing the subject.

Alexa sighed and threw her hands behind her to support her weight. Her long legs were stretched out. Her boots were wet from the current rain Ashburn had been under. I didn't mind the rain but everyone else seemed to mind it.

"Maya has been different." Alexa said, taking a glance at Maya.

Maya's curly hair was a jumble as she started running away from Manny. Manny was faster than Maya. Watching him was seriously something entertaining. As Maya ran to try to get away from him, he pounced like a puma at her with quick speed. His dark arms circled around Maya's waist and she squealed.

"But I thought things were okay with you and Maya. You never told me something was wrong."

Alexa shrugged and laid back on the damp grass. She looked up and seemed to be deep in thought. I followed her lead and looked up as well. The skies were blocked by the branches of trees. Bits of streaks of sunlight were poking through. I noticed something strange while looking up at the trees. The animals were quiet. There weren't any chirping from the birds or movement from far around. I never once saw birds flying up ahead.

"She doesn't like that I'm with Vlad." Alexa said.

"Why not?" I asked.

Alexa looked over at the group and just shook her head. She seemed like she didn't want to talk about it but I really wanted to know.

"Alexa?" I pressed.

"I can't talk about it." She mumbled.

"Why not? Is it because Maya is there? They can't hear us."