Escondedero...the hide-away...

ALEX POV…

The depressing atmosphere at the dining table makes me feel sick.  I can’t recall a time that we dine together without the booming laughters of Dad and my brothers and the happy  melodic giggle of Mom.  Eating is our bonding time…the time when we talk as a family.  Our topic usually ranges from some pity stuffs to serious major decisions.  

But today is very different, I looked at Dad’s grim but worried face as he sat across the table.  Three pair of eyes automatically focused on me as I entered the dining room.

“Lex, please take your seat.  We are really waiting for you,” Dad ordered. 

I silently obliged and took my chair next to Mom.  I noticed that Cesar is not around, might be in the hospital, I suppose. Nana Sabel immediately served my apple juice, my daily morning ritual.

We ate in silence as if everybody is scared to open any topic that would open the gates of emotions everyone of us is keeping in ourselves.  How I hate the deafening silence.

“Hey guys…I think we need to talk,” Judge suddenly exclaimed.

We all stopped eating and looked at him as if seeing him for the first time and still digesting what he have just stated.

“Dad, Mom…Alex…we can’t solve our problems by just sitting and eating silently as if nothing happened. We all knew that Cesar needs us…Elijah needs us.  If we want to be a family…now is the best time to show it,” Judge preached to us.  

I smiled at my brother, Mom and Dad is right when they named him Judge…amidst the difficulties and the problems, his wisdom and calmness is really amazing.  True to his name, he makes wise decisions and sensible suggestions.

“ I think your right bro…we really need to talk things out Mom, Dad.  Elijah needs immediate and the best medications…unless you want to lose your grandson?”

  I saw Mom’s eyes widened in horror and Dad’s jaw clinched as they look at me.

“Of course not! We love Elijah…oh how I love that little boy in a short time I knew him,” Mom burst out crying.  Dad gave me a stern look as he comforted Mom.

“I’m sorry Mom, I’m just stating the truth here.  I myself cannot deny the fact that I already fall in love with that tough little man last night.  That’s why we have to help him. “

“I have talked with Cesar a while ago and he told me that they are planning to transfer Elijah to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.  That hospital is one of the best in the country when it comes to treating pediatric cancer patients.”

“I think that’s a brilliant idea Dad, and I think we should make sure that the best doctors will be tapped to take care of our little boy, “ Judge agreed.

Every details of Elijah’s transfer to Philadelphia was later discussed when we visited him that day.  Mom and Dad insisted to go with Cesar and Krishna  to Philadelphia, while I and Judge were ordered to remain home until the classes ends next week.  

After our discussion, I saw Krishna walked down the hallway towards the canteen of the hospital. I followed her and found her seated in a table at the far end of the canteen.  She smiled and waved to me when I entered.  

“Hi! Alex…care for a cup of coffee?”

“Sure! Thanks!” I answered and sat down opposite her.  She has similarities with Mara…but the most noticeable is her eyes…black as the night.  I’m wondering if they also keep so many secrets like Mara.  I signaled the waiter and ordered one cup of coffee.