Cesar...

MARA’S POV…

The whole stadium was jam-packed with people from all walks of life.  Fathers with sons tagging along…groups of eager teen-agers who are avid fans of both the Blue Dragons and the Red Guardians.  There were flocks of tri-media preparing to cover the game… there were some local government officials who  looks impatient for the game to start.  There were also groups of students from both the San Beda College and Princetown Academy from where the two opposing teams came from.  The cheers and yells of the audience make me feel dizzy. This is the reason why I hate to attend activities like this, I hate the crowds…I hate the noise and I hate mixed odors of different kind of people in the area.

I felt Alex squeezed my hand and tug me towards the right side of the stadium.  As promised, I go along with her to meet her family…the Burchard family.  My heart beat faster as we approached the bleachers.  They were occupying the front seats which were only reserved for VIPs.  

I saw a man…probably 6”4 in height, fair complexion, dark hair and sharp stubborn nose.  I can’t see his eyes yet because he is looking at the beautiful woman seated beside him.  The woman might be in her late 40”s but she exudes an aura of simple sophistication.  Her long blonde hair was tied into a pony tail on the top of her head.  No make-up can be noted on her clean flawless face.  Both were wearing jeans and t-shirt.  Alex pulled me towards them.

“Hey Mom…Dad!” Alex greeted the couple who immediately stand upon seeing our arrival.  So this is the great Peter Buchard,  I thought to myself.  Never did it occur to me that he is this simple.

“Lexi…it’s good you’re here,” the woman answered and kissed Alex on the cheeks.  Alex hugged her and also the tall man.

“So this is Mara I suppose,” the woman turned to me and smiled.  

“Mom…Dad…let me introduce to you Mara….my girlfriend,” Alex stated as she ushered me towards her parents.  I can’t help myself from blushing.  This is the first time that I am being introduced as a girlfriend all my life.  But I managed to smile and face the duo. “Sweetie…my parents…Mr. Peter Burchard but call him Pete…and this lovely lady he is holding tight is my Mom…Mrs. Hannah Burchard”, Alex finished smiling.

“I am very pleased to meet you Mr. Bu….”

“Oh common…just call me Pete…I’m on vacation right now and I want to be treated a little bit younger.  When people call me Mr. Burchard I felt 20 years older.  So please Mara darling, call me Pete…lets drop the formality,” Mr Burchard exclaimed smiling at me.  He took my hand, I thought he will shake hands with me but he pulled me into his arms and gave me a warm hug.  I was really surprised.

Yes..im speechless…I’m not ready for this warm welcome much more when Mrs. Burchard pulled me away from her husband’s arms and kissed my cheeks and gave me also a warm hug.  She hold my shoulders after, looked into my eyes and smile genuinely.

“Honey…I am very happy to meet you.  Welcome to our family”.

Oh my…why are they so sweet and so good to me?  I never thought they are like this.  They are very far from what I’m thinking before.  The aristocratic Burchard family…but they seemed they are not.

Just then another couple…must be in their twenties approached us. The man deliberately bumped Alex who is still busy talking to his father and have not seen their arrival.

“Sis…I think you ought to introduce us to your friend,” the man demanded as he clasp Alex hand and then ruffled her hair.  Alex laughed and hug the man and kissed the girl on the cheeks.

“Of course…of course…Sweetie…one of my bestfriend, the nerd of the family as well as the IT genius and artist rolled into one…my brother Judge.  And this beautiful girl…believe it or not…he is his girlfriend Mimi” Alex introduced laughing.

“Bro, Mara…the one I’m telling you.”  I saw Alex winked at Judge and the later smiled at her and nod with approval. Mimi kissed me on the cheeks while Judge gave me a handshake.

“Welcome to the family of notorious people Mara.  Hope you will enjoy being with us.  Just be yourself and don’t be shy ok.” 

“Thank you Judge!”

“Mara, you don’t have to be shy…coz all their family members are very nice”, Mimi whispered to me before we take our seats.  Alex sat beside her Mom while I was seated next to her then Mimi and Judge.  Mr. Burchard handed me a can of soda and a bag of popcorn. They look like ordinary family attending a basketball game together.  Nobody can tell that they are one of the wealthiest people in America.

All of the sudden one man wearing the player’s uniform approached us, his wet blonde hair curled sexily on his head.  He is tall, probably 6’6” and a body that a woman could die for.  His blue eyes are full of mischief.  He is an epitome of a man not to be trusted by any woman.  Even without introduction, I know in my heart that he is Cesar Burchard.  Elijah resembles almost everything in him…the blonde hair, the blue eyes… only that Elijah does not show any mischief anymore … only pain.

I felt my blood is surging, anger is starting to ignite from the deepest part of my heart.  How can this man abandon Krishna and Elijah?  How can he deliberately forsake them and act as if everything is normal while his son is dying in the hospital?

Alex clasped his hand and introduced him to me.

“Bro…meet Mara…my girlfriend.  Sweetie…the playboy of the family…my brother Cesar”

“It took all my control not to slap his face when he kissed me on the cheeks in greetings.  I want to shout at him…tell him that he is a demon but I stop myself.  I know this is not the proper venue for all this drama.

“I’m happy that you came Mara.  It’s the first time that Alex introduced to us her girlfriend…and that makes you a special one,” he said while looking at me intently.  Then all of the sudden he asked me… “Mara…have I meet you before? Or have we met before?”

I felt my body stiffened and my feet becomes cold.  Does he knows me? But I haven’t seen him personally before nor he saw me too.  Unless Krishna show my pictures to him.  

“Bro…this is the first time Mara meet all of you,” Alex answered for me.  I slowly calmed myself breath normally when Cesar smiled and nodded.

“She just seemed familiar…her eyes reminds me of somebody”, Cesar stated in a low voice.  A hint of longing and sadness crossed his face but he immediately masked it with a smile.  After talking to Judge and Mimi for a short while, he returned to their bench and get ready for the game to begin.

Mixed emotions are battling inside my heart…what should I do?  Then I felt Alex squeezed my hand. I looked at her and saw his questioning look.  Am I too transparent? Should I tell her? Will she understand?  I’m running out of time…I know I should hurry…

________________________________