CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Walking into Peyton's house, I squeeze Colton's shoulder gently

Walking into Peyton's house, I squeeze Colton's shoulder gently. Decorated for the accessibility, the two story home is modern and spacious. Elegantly white, it looks clinical and very clean, chairs and tables all plastic or glass and not made for comfort. Which I could understand, at the start Peyton's risk for infection was very high, so precautions were put and place and I guess they stayed.

Peyton's mum greets us with a tired smile. "Alexis, how lovely for you to visit, I'm sure Peyton's missed you." I raise my eyebrows slightly and she turns her gaze to Colton. "And who is this?"

"Hey Mrs. Lane, it's been awhile so I thought I would pop in and say hi. And this is um... Colton."

She frowns, pursing her lips. "I see. Well, you know where Peyton's room is."

With that she walks away, heading up the marble staircase. I look at Colton with a shrug and gesture him to follow me leading him into Peyton's room. He enters through the doorway looking curiously about the lack of door before gazing to the bed where Peyton lies.

She sits propped up on her bed, tv remote in hand and flicking through channels. My eyes instantly focus on her leg... or rather lack of leg and grimace. This was never easy.

Colton gulps beside me surveying the room and it's variety of equipment quietly. From crutches to wheelchairs, her room and the rest of the house is especially equpided to make her life easier but it also made it harder to treat her normally. And I hated that I felt that way.

"Um, hey Peyton." I wave shifting my weight.

"Hi," she says, eyes firmly on the tv.

I give Colton a look and indicate for him to say something.

He huffs but opens his mouth, "What's up?"

Peyton's eyes snap over widening for a moment before glaring daggers in Colton's direction. "Certainly not me. I can't just get up and walk about idiot."

Colton rubs the back of his head. "Oh."

"Yeah, oh." She chucks the remote further down her bed and crosses her frail arms. "What are you even doing here? Why would I want to speak to you, the guy that literally ruined my life?"

"I... I wanted some closure."

"Oh you wanted some closure did you? Because you are clearly the one that is left with two legs, back problemless and no complications whatsoever. Yeah, you sure have a lot to get over."

"I am sorry," Colton whispers.

Peyton throws her head back and lets out a lifeless laugh. "Sorry isn't going to cut it this time. You pushed me off a damn cliff."

"I didn't push you!"

"Oh, so I just voluntarily jumped off a cliff?" She raises her eyebrows.